1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My new Pioneer CT-93

Discussion in 'Cassette Decks' started by walkman archive, Jan 22, 2017.

1. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Hello guys,

I've recently been offered a CT-93. Although my stack is completely full, for a good price I couldn't refuse it! :biggrin:

Here are some quick photos of it. It just needed a quick repair in the screen as a few soldering points were cracked and the screen was non functioning. Completely black.

Now it comes back to its glorious aspect:

my new pioneer ct-93 01.JPG my new pioneer ct-93 02.JPG my new pioneer ct-93 03.JPG my new pioneer ct-93 04.JPG my new pioneer ct-93 05.JPG

Isn't it precious?
    Oh, the sound is pretty good but I still couldn't do a thorough test and A/B comparisons. The super Auto BLE is impressive; I'll show you with a short video as soon as I can.

delamostre, nickeccles, retro and 4 others like this.
  2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

That looks lovely, condition looks excellent to. I love Pioneer equipment.

walkman archive likes this.
  3. Elite-ist

Elite-ist Well-Known Member

Congratulations on acquiring the CT-93, Hugo. I have a collection of Pioneer Elite and Reference series components, but I don't have the CT-93. It looks factory-fresh, cosmetically. Perhaps, a little more background on how you came upon it?

Nando.

4. walkman archive

Yes, it seems it's totally new. I've checked the heads with a small microscope and they look simply unused :shock

I've seen your ELITE equipment and it looks great Nando. Talking with @mankamaz yesterday he told me he remembers to watch the complete Pioneer stack in a big store in Madrid back in those days and the price was 2.000.000 pesetas (the spanish coin then) which equals 12,000 euros today! And that's without taking in count the time in-between!

This deck comes from a high-end store in Barcelona. I know those guys and they call me whenever they have something related to cassettes. In this case an old customer (which I believe he bought the deck to them) wants to sell the deck and a few other interesting gadgets. I went to the store to test it and the screen was not working at all. Plain back, but after being in @Sergi's lab, it works wonderfully. Boy, I'm in love with it!:headphones:

Elite-ist likes this.
  5. Patron

Patron Active Member

Congrats hugo, it looks very clean

6. DutchNick

DutchNick Member

Hi Hugo
    Just joined stereo2go, and I am an enthusiast for Pioneer, especially Elite/Reference. I have one Pioneer CT91 US Elite, and two of these CT93, one with a non-working display, the other with an orange/red display - I see yours is blue/green. My 93s are 'international' multi-voltage Reference Series models, not US Elites, but it's interesting to see a different colour.
    My question: can you share any details of what needed fixing to make the display work again? Could you even pinpoint by photo where the dry/cracked joints were?
    I look forward to hearing from you.
    Kind regards
    Nick

7. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Congratulations Hugo.
    I think you are the luckiest man on this planet when it comes to any type of cassette players. I cannot imagine those guys just call you to to go there and pick up a great deck. I can see in few weeks they will call you to go back and pick up a Nakamichi Dragon or even something better ! ;) . anyway thanks for sharing this picture. This Elite deck looks ver much minty to me

8. walkman archive

Hi Nick,
    Well, as I said, I wasn't the guy who fixed it. I took it to @Sergi's Lab here at Barcelona and he fixed it. As he told me, he had to dissasemble the front and the screen until he found two cracked soldering points, but I have no idea which ones they were. And I guess yours may not be the same as mines...

Well, I cannot deny I was indeed lucky :biggrin: but I also have to say that I am always searching. I went to this store one year ago with a friend (Angel, the one with the music room I show in another thread) and since then we keeped in contact. As they knew about my passion for cassettes, I think they thought "hey, take note of the phone number of this guy for when we are offered by old customers some vintage gear". And here it is the CT-93 with me...

9. Elite-ist

I appreciate the story about how you got the CT-93, Hugo.

Nando.

10. walkman archive

Glad to share. I think it's a good idea that you guys contact the oldest hi-fi stores in your city so they know you and have your number for those special moments...
    Who knows? :scratch2:

11. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

Good score Hugo, I like the glossy finish just like the piano black. :thumbup:

12. mankamaz

mankamaz Administrator Staff Member

Congratulations Hugo!! as you know well I have no words for your CT93 s:yesss: , I love all the Elite series

13. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

A nice deck Hugo .

14. walkman archive

I know you're a great fan of the Elite series, Manuel :nodding:

15. walkman archive

It's being difficult to add a video to the Media albums (I'm in contact to support team to fix the issues). In the meantime, let's see if I can embed a video here:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  16. walkman archive

17. Elite-ist

Thanks for posting the video, Hugo. That is one of the nicest CT-93s I've seen in some time.

Nando.

18. Navpers

Navpers New Member

pretty good score !! that's a common problem with those and other brands as well.....cold solder joints ! Enjoy :)

19. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Very nice decks & were released to rave reviews in the 90's!

Soon after, the cassette format was dismissed as 'We don't need this medium anymore' by the digital age brigade!!

I'm still in love with the cassette format always will be :wink:

Radio Raheem likes this.
  20. walkman archive

And now, things slowly go back to cassettes and analog... :bigthumbsup:

nickeccles likes this.