1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Sony Walkman collection so far.....

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by buzbox, Dec 7, 2016.

1. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

I'm running out of Walkmans to get. I've been selling more than collecting lately. I would like to get into the DD range but seems like all of them have the clicking issue. Seems easy enough to repair and hopefully the gear prototype will get into production.

Brutus442 likes this.
  2. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

So many of these DD's could be saved if a 3D printer could be used to mass produce them. We have the tech now...

3. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

I am a bit confused.... Marian , who is Well qualified with expirience on this matter, says the 3D print is not working.... So, why do you think iT is anyway???

4. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

Not sure if I understand your message, but I was just saying it's a pity that someone with 3D Printing experience couldn't replicate the centre wheel.

5. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

I think 3d printing them would be ok but I doubt the gears would last. The fine tooth on the gears would most likely break. But I may be wrong. 3D printing is only getting better as the days go by and with improved materials and technology being introduced I don't see why 3d printing these gears would be a problem in the future.

Brutus442 likes this.
  6. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Oh.. I see... I thought you made a statement that iT was possible... Sorry for the misunderstanding... Maybe DoubleCee can give us more clarity about....

Brutus442 likes this.
  7. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

I thought I'd add the blue WM 40 in this thread too. Just cleaned old belt residue off and motor runs well. Not going to install a belt yet. I tend not to install belts in a lot of my walkmans as I don't use all of them much. Going to reproduce the sticker on the cassette lid and also the FM/AM decal below it too. I have access to a printer that prints white ink so will do some tests and see what it looks like. I wonder if there is anyone out there that can re-do the color on this player. I guess it's anodized originally but not sure how I can reproduce the white lettering on the sides.

IMG_1446.jpg

Patex likes this.
  8. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

The blue bunch!!

IMG_1450.JPG IMG_1449.JPG

Patex likes this.
  9. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

And the saga continues. A few more added to the pile. My first DD's. Blue DD33 in mint condition but does have the dreaded click. The red DD III has some paint scuffs on the edges but sound is excellent. The grey WM 503 was a last minute impulse buy but was worth it. In great working condition.

IMG_1474.JPG IMG_1475.JPG IMG_1473.JPG

Patex likes this.
  10. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

hey buzbox
    You got 2 beautiful DDs. its time to practice on how to disassemble a DD and take the central gear out . Luckily Marian is about to make the final DD central gear.
    I can't wait to see your completed DD collection with all rare colors (which is your expertise)

11. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

I had a look at them last night and I think i'll leave the disassembly to Marian. I'll be send both DD's and my DC2 up to him to repair and service. Will keep my eyes open for the other colors but it's difficult to find them in good to mint condition.

12. Karesz

Karesz New Member

I'm so envious for the box ...

13. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Received more today. An almost mint condition DD III and the famous DD 100 Boodo Khan. DD III works well and sound is excellent but the Boodo Khan is in need of some TLC. Got it working after a quick inspection. Needs the center gear repaired and the left channel seems quieter than the right. Might just be the volume pot as it's making the normal scratchy noise. It's not in the best condition. A lot of deep dents on the edges. Seems like it's had a hard life. Unfortunately no box or headphones. Makes me wonder what happened to them :(

IMG_1585.jpg IMG_1580.jpg

Patex likes this.
  14. Chris

Chris Active Member

Congrats on the Boodo Khan, they seem to be getting much harder to find, even in a less than perfect condition.

15. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Ok so I'm breaking with the Sony tradition on my end :) Saw this Aiwa advertised locally with the radio tuner pack and with a few sets of Aiwa speakers. The player works but needs a new belt and a good clean too. Weird thing is the motor starts running when I put the batteries in. Might need to check the contacts.

IMG_1588.JPG IMG_1592.JPG IMG_1591.JPG IMG_1590.JPG

Patex, Ball000 and Chris like this.
  16. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

What do you all think the value is for the Aiwa HS U07? I am thinking of selling it. Got it working with a new belt. Comes with the radio tuner pack too.

17. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Really hard to say as there is no price precedence set by previous sales. I found one sold in Italy for £19 and one on Ebay USA that remained unsold at $200 so between those two perhaps? Not much help i know. I think its quite a rare model though so price it accordingly.

18. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

I have this Aiwa HS U07. IT is a good walkman with a tuner pack. Mine is mint condition.
    To be honest with you there is nothing special with this walkman except the brand "AIWA".
    regarding the price
    This is my personal opinion and i might be completely wrong:

$20 not working for part
    $50 dollar working condition cosmetic condition not good
    $70 dollar working condition cosmetic condition good
    $100 dollar working condition cosmetic condition excellent
    $180 dollar brand new in the box

19. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Agree...

20. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

I'll keep it I suppose. I really like it. Sound is surprisingly good.