1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the Cloneman mission

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by autoreverser, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

wow, great collection.
    It needs a lot of time and effort to collect all these TPS-L2 replicas. I didnt see Trump model. It looks identical to TPS-L2

2. Kin

Kin Member

Here you go :D:

trumpwest.jpg

MikeWalkman, SeanMT and autoreverser like this.
  3. Boodokhan

Is this the real one? Please verify it.
    Is it a photo shop. I don't think a billionaire make such a big risk to copy/ replicate another company's design which is well known for the whole world.

4. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

Boodokhan, don't worry, this is 100% for sure a very well made photo-shop - as you can see it's a WESTMAN- box (even got the "Let's Go West"-tape on the box),
    check my first pics !

b.t.w. when the TRUMP- player came out, the designated potus might have had his (most) popular hairstyle, but was in general at least 35 years younger...

5. Boodokhan

Thanks for clarifying this issue. Now i feel better :D

6. Kin

Kin Member

I was a bit lazy... could have made "Let's ma.." :p

autoreverser likes this.
  7. autoreverser

hey Kin, very well done indeed ! the original photo of the box wasn't mine - do you have a boxed Westman as well ?

8. Kin

Kin Member

Lol, no. Actually the top section with the "Let's go West" sticker is a small part from your photo. ;)
    bottle.jpg

9. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

Thats a really impressive collection. Ive always steered clear of clones because I have never thought of them as anything other than the Walkman equivalent of Fan Fiction. Not a patch on the original that inspired it

However, seeing them here in context they have a unique appeal that I find myself strangely attracted too.

Really glad I clicked on this thread.

10. Boodokhan

TPS-L2 replica.jpg
    I found this one on internet which is almost same as TPS-L2 even the box
    Do you know anything about this model?

MikeWalkman likes this.
  11. autoreverser

nope, not at all - it's interesting, looks actually a lot like a branded Sony

12. autoreverser

13. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

An interesting collection and photos. With regards to the different brands in different countries I don't think anyone would have dared to try and market the
    City-Bummler in the UK :lollegs: In contrast Binatone were a well known brand with a reputation for value for money (they are still around selling things like cordless telephones). Their Wikipedia entry claims that the HipFi outsold the Sony Walkman in 1981.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binatone

That is easy to believe as looking in the 1981 Argos catalogue it is the only Personal Stereo on offer, and the first to appear in Argos.

1981 Binatone Hip Fi.pdf.jpeg
    At £49.99 it was about half the price of the Sony (does anyone know the original UK price of the Walkman?) and with over 100 Argos stores around the country then (I just counted the list on the back of the catalogue) availability would have been better too.

p.s. T-Ster Philips actually owned Pye and Dynatron so those would definitely share circuit boards etc.

MikeWalkman likes this.
  14. autoreverser

ok, 3 more arrived today, the Calypso I had allready, but not a boxed one:

IMG_3254.JPG

Now the big question:

Who knows the difference between a "standard" Stereo Cassette Player" and a "Full Feature Stereo Cassette Player" ?

15. bronco

bronco Active Member

:scratch2:Rewind button?

16. autoreverser

10 Points !!!

51549971920__02B39066-69D7-4F19-918E-24D6A1040F9D.JPG 51549973531__F1A9A77D-3A9A-4EE3-857B-B645E8F97506.JPG

the FFWD- button of the F/5 - version is on top, also features "talk-line" like other "earlians" as well as two independent volume-pots.

All three units are actually mint, the marks on the F/3 came from the headphones who smudget on the unit because of disolving styrofoam in the package :smileymad:

I seriously want a boxed Binatone Hipfi (...I can live without, but quite difficult!)

17. autoreverser

18. autoreverser

...one more to go now: JPS Mini Concert (...on last pic compared to the wonderfull designed "Super-Fi"):

IMG_3749.JPG IMG_3750.JPG IMG_3751.JPG

...as there's so many now, it's been proved that the "Westman" is not the first unit of this kind and this particular one is another "Tobacco-name" i stop call them "Westman" in general, from now on i call them "Cloneman"

...to be continued soon, as there's another one in the line, then in new fred with list...

19. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

I found this one on eBay for not much money! I can't see one in your collection (yet!) It does work when it feels like it, I fitted an old WM-D6C belt to it and lubed up the motor as it kept cutting out, but it played a tape earlier and actually sounded pretty good! Needs the volume sliders cleaned and the headphone jacks cleaned as well, but as I didn't pay much for it I wasn't expecting it to work!

20180403_221204.jpg 20180403_221212.jpg 20180403_221222.jpg 20180403_221237.jpg

Attached Files:

autoreverser likes this.
  20. autoreverser

yes, sir, yes - it's a proper Cloneman !

interesting is that they used the name "Walkabout" wich i think was licensed (to Sony?)
    anyway, i think the name "Fitzgibbon" suits it much better, congrats, rare find, i don't have one of those !