1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"N.I.B for the poor" wonderland

Discussion in 'I found this!' started by Risingsunproject, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Risingsunproject

Risingsunproject Active Member

The title could also be:

"Now you can afford tomorrow's world today" like the Binatone slogan on the box!

In every "found in the wild" there is a story behind it and here is this one:
    I came across an ad on the internet about some stereo devices so i called "Michael" to meet.Funny that i was discussing N.I.B finds with some of our members 2 days ago.I arrange a meeting with the guy at his place and have a small chat.He told me that a hi-fi shop closed back in 2006 and leaving a huge dept behind and a big stock of stereo equipment.Michael's family were the landowners of that shop.The shop guy left overnight snatching most of the expensive equipment but leaving a big stock of entry-level devices behind.At the time M's family was living abroad so the shop got sealed and nobody took a greater look on what is actually inside.The boxes stayed untouched until now and just by mistake M found them and transported them to his house in order to free the shop and help out his family members.
    It turns out that Michael is an upstanding guy that just wants to free his cellar of all those boxes so he did not ask real money for some items.After talking to him and looking at the stock for a couple of hours we kinda became friends that share similar interests like old photography cameras,models,old cars etc.Being well educated and living abroad between Greece and the UK Michael gave me some "presents".I offered to help him if possible through the boombox and stereo communities without asking for money.
    The stock is full of those little yellow buggers (entry level is too polite for this one)
    Many Fidelity stereo/turntable wooden boxes and some other which i have no clue or never saw before.
    If members here want to help out Michael or helping me help out the guy please give us some info about all the stock shown (i am interested in the fidelity ones) maybe even discuss a reasonable/fair price to ask for those.
    I will be making a sales post probably but i rather discuss it first with experienced members.

"Correction to this:The things are shown only for show i decided that a sales post on this stock in here is inappropriate plus the expenses from the shipment will be high enough to not make worth its time and effort,However becoming friends with Michael i will find another way to help him with that stock maybe a car boot sale is more appropriate as @Longman suggested.
    I added some new pics Michael send me per mail."

"Feel free to comment anything on this stock,from harsh comments till aggressive ones i do not mind since i find them more than funny" So have a good Mickey mouse time with this post!

All boxes and stereo equipment are N.i.b and were taken out just for taking pictures only lol!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  2. Risingsunproject

Maybe some UK members know more about those UK made Fidelity tape deck.hi-fi wooden boxes!
    IS 750 is all i see!

Michael is interested in old cameras.Here is one rare he showed me.These ones had a small paper so the photographer could take notes!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  3. Risingsunproject

Fidelity/fatality who knows?

IMAG1563.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  4. Risingsunproject

Or maybe we have Borussia Dortmund fans in here that want those little ones!
    I just had a vision of making a sticker and sell them outside the stadium since we are going for the championship this year!
    Then i am thinking that police will chase us for black market sales!
    And then it comes to me that i saw before such crap inside the stadium because some people liked to to watch the match and listen to the radio at the same time
    Maybe this yellow stock meant to be sold outside the old AEK stadium"Nikos Goumas" and never reached its final destination!

Attached Files:

5. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

That all looks to be quite old (I would guess 1980s) but as you have noted is bottom on of the range stuff.

The Binatone is a copy / rip off of the Sharp QT50.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sharp+qt+50&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=h7GPp8snuKF6kM%3A%2COFe6F6xMb3VAeM%2C_&usg=__VWHQ2vScN-viyFbCvVraUMPNbPs=&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjaq66UvJnZAhXBDcAKHRF1CokQ9QEIKzAA#imgrc=h7GPp8snuKF6kM:

Binatone are still around selling cheap cordless phones

http://www.binatonestore.co.uk/

Fidelity went bust in the mid 1980s (although the name was then bought by Amstrad)

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21955

Note that that thread is 11 year old. Alan Sugar of Amstrad is too busy hosting "The Apprentice UK" and speculating in property to make anything electronic these days.

These were Fidelity's offerings in the same 1982 catalogue as the £385 Sharp VZ3000.

fidelity.jpg

Definitely aimed at the teenage "pocket money" market.

The fact that the equipment is NIB should definitely add to the value, but my guess is that a market / car boot sale would be the most appropriate place to sell it. If the shop had that much old stock I'm not surprised they went bust.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Risingsunproject likes this.
  6. Risingsunproject

Thanks Longman for the info i will read everything carefully with some sadness i f i am the troll get back to you later gotta go!

7. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

I imagine someone would want that Fidelity IS 750 pseudo-component stack, even though it is entry level.

8. Risingsunproject

The funny thing on the small rip off Binatone is that the tape door does not open by pressing eject/stop only if there is a cassette inside,so if you want to insert one you got to do it manually from a notch (so well made)

9. Risingsunproject

Thank you for the great information
    We definitely have a small part of the island's history in our hands even entry/mid range.I like the cool logo in the back "Made in England" its not something we are going to see very often from now on.I will keep one for myself!There maybe another 10 Fidelity ones.As for the binatones who cares and who counts probably 30-50

10. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

During the 1980s and even later lots of the Japanese Manufacturers also had factories in the UK making things for the European Market. My 8 year old Toshiba flat screen was made in the UK, although I knew the factory was closing when I bought it and that swayed my choice of TV. I suppose some good news is that all Raspberry Pi computers are made at the old Sony TV factory in Wales (UK).

Turning things around a long lasting regret was not buying a "Made in China" radio I saw in the mid 80s. Being Chinese it had Chinese writing and pictures of Pandas on the dial ! At the time it would have been as exotic as getting something made in North Korea today. Little did I know that within a few years "Made in China" would be commonplace.

Of course as Nick keeps proving just across the border Hong Kong was churning out cheap Radios, Boomboxes etc. I think that at the time shipping costs made things like large TVs and Stack Systems uneconomic to produce there.