1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New WM-DD center gear prototype is here (EDIT - final version is here)

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by mihokm, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

excellent work Marian. and good news for all of us
    Thanks

Nak D likes this.
  2. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

I did experiment. I removed the brass gear prototype from WM-D3 and I checked what damage it did to the adjacent plastic gears.
    I was surprised because I didn't find and sign of wear, even if I looked to them through magnifying glass. May be brass version could be also alternative.
    Anyway, I have bad feeling when it is not made from plastics.
    I'm working hard on the plastic version, I should have first results in 3 weeks.

Marian

3. Kalach Portable

Kalach Portable New Member

Is it possible that you used all metal gear or would they be a drag in terms of weight? On the other hand their weight would add momentum to the movement and be more energy efficient - plus last longer than common plastic

Just keep in mind that some metals "frequency" might influence the fine tuning of some components depending on many factors including atmospheric conditions - well, that is just a possibility if you used metals ... You are definitely a step way beyond everyone creating these type of advanced prototypes. It means that your head is already wrapped around the problem itself plus even more so, you are doing something about it - the advancements you apply in this area can be used on other decks beyond the mobile platform - no more quick fixes.

You should try using new composites (ceramics mixtures) or advanced plastics (they are lightweight and vibrance reducing if they are porous enough- plus they resist wear better than common plastics and some nearly as well as metals with less degradation) - put something of the latest technologies to work for you (and all of us =).

Lastly I am needing some intervention on my DD33 and my DD9 (among 42 other models that expired - might be just the belts); but your research could be the key we are waiting for

Great job!!

4. Kalach Portable

Kalach Portable New Member

Maybe because the movement is rather composed and self contained?
    But under vibration conditions things might be different - meaning under real world "out there" conditions.
    What do you think?

5. mrn

mrn Member

Marian, are you willing to share (I mean sell) one of the prototypes?
    I know it is a sensitive question, but you are fixing history now :)

6. Nak D

Nak D New Member

Regards reducing wear n tear, how about using a high quality mechanical lube such as graphite or PTFE compounds?

7. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

Just quick update.

I know that so many of us are waiting for new gears and I would be very happy if I could make them available asap.

I received new gears. Here it is how it looks when it is installed, together with the support rings.

[​IMG]

This gear is fully functional now, but....

Unfortunately, life is not easy and the gears and support rings are not perfect. Gears are nice and smooth but producer made several mistakes in dimensions.

1st. - teeth height is smaller than it should be, by 0.1 - 0.15 mm:

[​IMG]
    2nd. Internal gear diameter is 28.3 mm instead of 28.1 mm, which makes gear eccentric, when installed on the metal disc

[​IMG]

Result: gear is too noisy

To make them available for public, I have not only order production of new gears but I also have to do several design modifications. I would like to ask you to help me. I think most of you have experiences from different areas.
    With your help, we can make it!
    I will prepare some questions and explain some details, that must be solved, soon. Stay tuned :)

Marian

Attached Files:

8. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Thanks for your great effort.

PJ0688 and Nak D like this.
  9. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Great job, Marian!

10. TJ Autoreverse

TJ Autoreverse Administrator Staff Member

Marian, thanks for your advances

11. mrp32Dave

mrp32Dave Well-Known Member

I agree, starting too look very promising

12. nickelresponse

nickelresponse New Member

I also agree. This is most exciting!

13. austin_28

austin_28 New Member

Wow, that are good news to read!
    I also would like to help this to be a great success!

14. 16s

16s Member

This is awesome progress and news! There is hope for my broken DD30. Exciting!!!

15. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

Marian, would you be able to send me the measurements for the gear, I'm considering getting one SLA 3D printed in 2 pieces.

16. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

I'm back here with small update.

I received new samples. These are much better, the tooth height is almost the same as original. I'm sure this one will fit.
    Final gears were also produced and they will be shipped to me in 10 days. In 3 weeks they will be here.

Support rings:
    These are bigger problem. One of them is too thin - only 0.25 mm. At this thickness, the material has to be hard and strong. The first version was made of dural. It was very bad choice - the rings were very soft, thread for M1.4 screw was also not strong enough. New version, that is currently being produced, is made of steel. I still don't know, what will be the result material. Titanium would be the best but who will pay for it? Here I need your advice. What do you suggest?

Also, countersunk screws must have reduced head width. They must be similar to ones that are used in DD models to fit FG/capstan part. I cannot find such anywhere.

I'm attaching gear drawing, for those who want to experiment :) I think 3D printing technology is not prepared yet for this precision but may be I am wrong. gear_drawing.jpg

sickly_b, Jørn Bonne and Nak D like this.
  17. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

Thanks a heap Marian :thumbsup:

18. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

This is, to me simply breathtaking!!

Another member producing something so long & obsolete that can bring our much loved stereo's back to life :wink:

It's clearly very complex too which makes it even more impressive!!

I'm lost for words tbh - this once again shows some folks determination to keep old technology alive & working as it was intended :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I hope that I can obtain the dodgy gear that breaks in the 8614...........mine is in perfect working order for now, I do worry about it failing of course................ :shock

Great work Marian :thumbsup:

PJ0688 likes this.
  19. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

Are you producing gears too Nick?

20. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

No but I wish I had the know how!!

I repair cassette machines now, am too unwell (stroke) to do much more these days........