1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New WM-DD center gear prototype is here (EDIT - final version is here)

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by mihokm, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Middachten

Middachten Member

Enjoy your holiday in the meanwhile, just like I'm doing mine!
    It's even better now with the perspective of new gears for my DD to be available soon after :thumbsup:

2. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Is it at all possible to use the central gear from a WM 2 or WM 5 on a DD Walkman? I have a few WM 5's that are for spares so just wondering if its the same? I'd rather get these repro gears though.

3. 16s

16s Member

I think 30-40euros to get DD Walkman running again is worth it. The only uncertainty I have is after paying 40euros there is no guarantee unless you have the skills that you will be able to successfully perform the repair. It's that bending the centre gear arm bit I never get right.

4. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

I'm still new to the DD line of walkmans but after getting a few DD's I'm getting more confident in taking the centre gear assembly apart. It does look intimidating at first but there isn't much to it. The only thing to be really careful about are the plastic "O" clips. I've used three methods in fixing the gear, epoxy, extra gear and a polymer putty. All seem to work well but still get a slight click noise. Its a big improvement of course but rather get this repro gear Marian is working on.

5. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Just arrived is my DD II "for parts not working". Well it is working with mandatory click. Was thinking of taking out the main gear and using one of your injection mold new gears when available and fitting it myself but on second thoughts I might be better off getting the Unit repaired by someone who knows what they are doing

6. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Mate if you are wiling to, I can help. I'm waiting for these gears to be available too and I have 5 DD's to repair. I've taken the center gear off quite a few times already. I'm also in Melbourne.

7. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Sounds like a plan. Also have 3 DD's to repair but although I have an ICT background haven't taken a DD apart. Probably time I did and
    Sorry had another internet fail last night and cannot tell if you received my reply.
    It would be great to see how to do this work myself and resurrect our DD's without risking them in the post. Although I've never had an issue I would prefer to fix my DD100 here. It was locally delivered and I think that makes it very rare.
    I'm on WhatsApp at +61418547259
    Regards
    Brian

8. mrn

mrn Member

... just make it Eu 33.33.-
    Easy to remember and hard to argue.
    Cheers from München :)

9. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Best to wait until I get some of these gears and try on my own DD's before I work on yours :) Don't want to risk damaging your DD's

10. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

I know exactly what you mean. It's why I bought that knocked about DD II from Germany. I thought doesn't matter if its not that easy to replace these gears and I encountered other issues. Is there anybody you'd trust your best DD to locally for service. I've tried European Electronics in Wickham Road but wasn't happy with the response I got. I've found an AV guy in Ringwood who used to service the D6C when in widespread use. He will do mine for a price and I've got Marian's complete belt and tire kit for it but not cheap to get it set up properly but at least he's an option and knows the D6C well.

11. YonWalk

YonWalk New Member

Hi,
    New user with a broken WM-D3 here. It clicks every couple of seconds or so while playing.

So glad to have found this thread. I will definitely order one of these or even send my unit in for an overhaul by Marian. I only wish I could preoder right away.
    :)

12. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Haha... we're counting the days until Marian is ready to go with these replacement gears. Lucky for us he's so dedicated to giving new life to these wonderful machines. Will be great to have the anxiety of total gear failure removed

YonWalk likes this.
  13. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

Then all you need is a nice new leather DD case and set of Sony stickers and your in DD heaven. Marian works his magic on the inside, whilst I help pimp the outside. Such a good time to be a DD fan!

AlbySpace and Silverera like this.
  14. YonWalk

YonWalk New Member

While we're waiting, can someone point me to the best (detailed steps) teardown guide of the WM-D3?
    I'd like to verify that the center gear is the problem.

15. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

Your ears are the only tool you need. Rhythmic click on play, RWd and ffwd

YonWalk likes this.
  16. YonWalk

YonWalk New Member

OK, thanks!

17. RevDoc

RevDoc New Member

YonWalk likes this.
  18. YonWalk

YonWalk New Member

Thanks for the video. He probably saved me a spring there.
    But apart from that he's mostly filming his fingers and doesn't go into lifting up the circuit board. I found the service manual online so that was sorted.

Cracked center gear confirmed and I managed to remove a lot of dry battery leakage residue. Most of it was stuck to the felt tape pieces. Where can I find replacements for those?

19. mihokm

mihokm Active Member

The gears are here and they look very nice. Now I'm going to install them to at least five walkmans, to confirm that they work well in all of them.
    I will post the results, after weekend.

20. RevDoc

RevDoc New Member

Good Luck !