1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie collector

Discussion in 'Introducing myself' started by BigPhil, Aug 12, 2017.

1. BigPhil

BigPhil New Member

Hi all just started collecting 1970s 80s Boomboxes. I'm from Coventry in UK. Just bought a Sharp Gf525e, seem to be a few of these around, I've also bought a Sanyo M-W750K can't seem to find much info on this one. I have a cracking Sony FH15R on its way, with original speakers in great condition and a remote. Which is the one I need to keep an eye out for? Looking forward to filling my home. I had Boomboxes as a kid wish I'd kept them. I'll try and get some pictures as I go along. Cheers Phil.

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  2. samovar

samovar Well-Known Member

Hi BigPhil and welcome on board! The UK community is very lively, as you'll soon find out. You're not alone out there -- and then there's this site of course.

You already own three sweet units. The Sharp is a classic, the Sony is an out of the world beast -- some do not even class it as a boombox -- and the Sanyo M-W750 is a very nice double-deck mini -- lovely like all mini-Sanyos. You won't find much information around as it is neither rare nor sought after.

Does this matter? Not at all in my opinion. In fact, I suggest that the units which you "need to keep an eye out for" are just those which you happen to like. I have been collecting for some time and I own many boomboxes -- some of them rare and desirable. And you know what? Those which I like best are the less heralded ones... :)

3. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Phil, welcome to the club! :wavey:

4. BigPhil

BigPhil New Member

Thanks I see what you mean about the Sanyo it has quality written all over it. I like all the chrome and metal switches. You don't get this anymore. Today's Boomboxes are just boxes with no character they don't even have switches. It's all touchscreen. I have a couple of Bose Waves as well, they are nice but again no switches. I've got my eye on an old Sharp VZ3000e with the vertical record deck. I think Mitsubishi did a version but can't remember the model. Anyone remember this?

5. Simon

Simon Active Member

Hi Phil and welcome. There is a linear tracking Mitsubishi MC-8000. One recently sold on ebay for £117 plus postage. I was watching it but not bidding this time.

6. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

I have a few radios but I do Not live in the UK :wavey:

7. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Welcome Phil, you should fit right in here :)

8. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

Welcome aboard mate.

9. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Hi Phil
    Welcome aboard. I do have few boxes and live in California

10. davebush

davebush Active Member

gooday. welcome to the madness