1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newly refoamed Panasonic RX-C100LS 6.5 inch woofer speakers

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Cassette2go, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

2. Vintage Guy

Vintage Guy New Member

I have boombox speakers that are white and have stained spots on them. Can anything be done for them?

Cassette2go likes this.
  3. samovar

samovar Well-Known Member

What I did with mine was to give them a coat of watercolor. In theory this affects sound, in practice it doesn't, provided that the layer of paint is light. A boombox is not a hi-fi machine, so whatever you lose in terms of sound quality is so negligible that I'd say there's no loss at all.

You may wish to repaint the speaker two or three times in order to get a uniform color. I went for that solution, but I realized that, if the speakers go behind a black grill, you don't need 100% precision: whatever shade of the stain remains, it will be invisible behind the grills.

4. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

Question? 1. What boombox are these in?
    2. Does the speakers sound good?
    3. Do they need to be white in color?
    4. If you paint the speakers, remember that you are adding "weight" to the moving mass of the cone and this may ( color or change the sound 'music' played through them) While the mass is light and now with no additional weight added they sound 'this' way and after you add weight to the surface area of the cone the woofer-speaker will sound different as it now requires more power to move more mass and also need's more spring-back to get back to the beginning of movement to make your sound.
    5. If you want it to look good then buy new speakers.
    6. If you do not care about the sound the OLD Speakers produce then go ahead and paint the heck out of them.