1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panasonic mini disk

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by Boodokhan, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

IMG_1543.JPG i have some mini disk in my collection. 4 Panasonics and the rests are Sony.
    I would like to share the pictures of my Panasonic mini disks with you.

Panasonic SJ-MJ500-p is the most beautiful mini disk inn my opinion. It comes with illuminated speakers

Jorge and PJ0688 like this.
  2. Boodokhan

Panasonic SJ-MJ55 also comes with a detachable mini disk player
    IMG_1546.JPG

Jorge likes this.
  3. Boodokhan

3 SJ-MJ55. One brand new and 2 used
    IMG_1545.JPG

Jorge and buzbox like this.
  4. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

The days before Bluetooth speakers!!:)

PJ0688 likes this.
  5. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Never liked portable md players, they have a very weak sound if you use them with better headphones but iv always liked the looks of this one, looks very nice, congrats

Jorge likes this.
  6. Boodokhan

I know, the problem i have is difficulty on recording the media on them. the old software is not compatible with new OS (windows/Mac). So i record md with optical cable by connecting md recorder to CD player.

anyway, i agree with you , thanks for the comment

Jorge and Radio Raheem like this.
  7. Boodokhan

This one is a recorder with line-in option that makes mini disk recording an easy job
    Panasonic mini disk SJ-MR220-S

2.jpg Panasonic mini disk SJ-MR220-S.jpg

Jorge likes this.
  8. Boodokhan

IMG_0023.JPG

Panasonic mini disk SJ-MJ30

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Jorge likes this.
  9. Boodokhan

Panasonic SJ-MJ100

IMG_0024.JPG

Jorge likes this.
  10. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I agree that the styling is really good. I am surprised that according to a press release it dates from Oct 2005 which
    doesn't seem that long ago to me. I don't have any catalogues that new to see if Minidiscs were still popular then.

The transparent panels and colour remind me of the original iMac which started the craze for transparent plastics
    but was quite a bit earlier in 1998.

Jorge and Boodokhan like this.
  11. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Old thread but I just scored a lonely Panasonic SJ-M55 and found this thread when searching it out. Mine is identical to yours but the photos don't do it justice, while the design is very minimal, they laid out everthing very nicely, the chrome and red give off really nice color. Oddly, mine is JDM but it doesn't have the "VS" umbrella on it. This is the smallest MD I have and it's tiny, I can't believe these weren't more popular over here, especially years after the format was released and before MP3 players got big.

Boodokhan, do you know if you the remote or base to use it correctly? I've only got the base unit, I don't want to get a battery if I need the whole setup.

12. Boodokhan

The remote can be obtained separately :
    https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/t770338389?conversionType=search_suggest

But I don't recommend the base at all since the quality of speakers are not good. If you decide to get the speaker let me know I might have extra to send you.
    Overall, its better to use this unit separately with headphones and use its button instead of remote.

Mister X and Jorge like this.
  13. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I had only one MD Panasonic presented to me by my friend @Boodokhan .... just a few months before everything went into DigitalHeaven... The pains of recording were above my skills, never figured how it sounds compared to CD... must be the same?

Boodokhan and Mister X like this.
  14. Boodokhan

Probably the same quality of CD the way I listen to CDs :biggrin:
    But for sure lower quality than CD the way you listen to CDs :thumbsup:
    So depends on your CD player, and headphone.
    Once this pandemic is over I will get you a better MD player/ recorder to try it yourself.
    So expect a visit in few months.

Jorge likes this.
  15. Mister X

Thanks for the info Boodokhan, my unit was a Japanese Dumpster Find! It looks brand new but missing the other parts. Unfortunately I won't be able to make it over to Tokyo next month, I would have scheduled it around trash day when they leave the electronics out at the curb.

Jorge, they sound really good but I've never compared them to CD head to head. What I do know is I've picked up dozens of used discs over the years and 80% of them are local bands playing. They must have really liked the sonics, I'm guessing the other choices were tape and then CD going into the 2000's for the musician's recordings.

Boodokhan and Jorge like this.
  16. Longman

I think what they liked was the portability, skip free playback compared to early CD and the fact that you could record.
    Have you watched Techmoan's bargain package from Japan ?

After a while he realises they are all lost property from trains
    If you have time to kill there is a 73 minute version

Boodokhan, Jorge and Mister X like this.
  17. Mister X

Great video, now he needs to send those over to My Mate Vince! They had all of those cool models, I bet they were pretty cheap to buy, why didn't the flood the market over here? I think the cheapest MD I remember was over $250, in the 90's; I would have loved to have gone this route for portable music.

Jorge likes this.
  18. Longman

Reading the description he says that with a bit of maintenance he got over half of them working.
    As for why they weren't promoted more in the USA that was probably down to the big music companies as explained in his original Minidisc video.

Only when Apple offered them a significant cut from the iTunes profits did the music companies go away from the idea that the only way to make money was by selling physical media. Of course by then they weren't getting anything from the likes of Napster where many people (including my Boss at the time) were getting their music.

I'm still not a fan of services like Spotify. The signature of a Tapeheads member sums it up for
    "Spotify is killing music and it's perfectly legal"
    I suppose you could qualify that with unless you think music is nothing but Ed Sheeran.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    Jorge likes this.
  19. Mister X

It's sad because I think MD might have killed CDs if they were under $100 USD, but Sony also has interest in CDs so they were in a win-win situation.

Jorge likes this.
  20. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I may add that MD would have killed CDs AND cassettes whatever the price for the crowd to which I belonged then (with mantra that Digital is Digital, and zeroes&ones are all the same) but copyright protection Dudes made it difficult for the end-users and they won then. I still remember that even for the iPod you had to buy Wadia adapter to be able to get its digital stream into a better DAC, I bought one as soon as it came out... Fun Times when SACDs and DVD-A fought and then phased out :( until HD Tracks and computer audio saved us from MP3 :)
    I wonder: how many minutes of uncompressed music can be recorded onto one MD? Also, by default, is it compressed on pre-recorded MDs?