1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Panny RX-FD80

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by T-ster, Mar 12, 2017.

1. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

So i admired one of the in Rahrah's pictures and as i have tons of cd's i thought i ought to get one. Picked this one up cheap, advertised as fully working but of course on delivery tape did not work and all controls crackly plus lots and lots of white dust in the crevices.

20170311_164925.jpg

I stripped it down, which is a bit of a pain in the ass just because of the switch sliders and the way they attach. Rebelted, cleaned and lubed the deck and all was mostly well. I didnt have a correct belt for one of the ones inside but it still felt good so i replaced the main drive belt plus the one for fwd rew, when i put it back together it plays beautifully but if you hit the switch to switch tapes sides it starts to chew. That belt will need switching out at some point... no biggie as i'll just flip the tape manually if i need to.

Putting it back together was a bit of a pain but ok in the end. Annoyingly i caught a piece of trim under the speaker after cleaning them so you can see it poking in the top left speaker, i'll sort that out when the other belt arrives. Still cheesed me off though.

Anyway, great sounding box, cd, line in and tape. Love it.

2. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

No offence meant but i don't think they sound all that Tstar lol but i totally love mine and will never part with it haha, they look dope though with that vertical cd, bought one brand new in 87 cost £350 and the first cd i played was the essential jean michel jarre, congrats on a loveley box:wink:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    nickeccles and Brutus442 like this.
  3. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

Nice one Tre. You're like me. When it doesn't fit back together perfectly, I still feel it's torn apart.

nickeccles and Radio Raheem like this.
  4. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

yes just like me too it comes apart and never goes back togeather again haha,, i know my post showed 2 of these but it actually took 2 of them to get 1 fully working, plus my engineer had to work his magic:wink:

Brutus442 and nickeccles like this.
  5. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Hehe thanks guys. Rah i think it sounds real good, granted it has small woofers so its not going to pound bass but it has such a warm tone even on cd, on anything other than full volume it sounds great.

Brutus442 and Radio Raheem like this.
  6. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Nice! :nodding: Do like this form-factor of the CD one-piecers from the second half of 80s. :)

Brutus442 likes this.
  7. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

It's a stylish beast

Brutus442 likes this.
  8. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

I put my Pioneer 95 back together and it was a b!tch. I couldn't tell you how many times I had to back screws out and rejig the chassis until all of it aligned...