1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips D8814 "Elephant" restoration

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Jorge, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Received it last week:
    00_Philips_8814_01.jpg

Everything works, but 30yo belts must be changed, also there is/was a small dent on the grille.
    Right now Elephant looks like this:
    00_Philips_8814_02.jpg

waiting for new belts from Consolidated Electronics (I wish we all could put our data together for boobmbox belts, it would be so much easier to order belts first, and only then start the surgery)
    Meanwhile grille got straightened and painted.
    I love the look of acoustically transparent grille cloth:
    00_Philips_8814_03.jpg

to be continued...

nickeccles likes this.
  2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I cannot believe that it happened to me! Spent a few hours choosing the right belts, and when they arrived today its all wrong sizes! Must have gotten confused (again!) by metric vs US measurement systems... The perils of Euro living in the US, will I ever get "naturalized"? Myguess it is No for the old dog like me ;-( now I have another proof to that!

nickeccles likes this.
  3. superlew

superlew Member

I've found belt sizes spec'd on the internet are a 50/50 gamble. I gave up spending a ridiculous sum on 3-5 belts at a time several years ago. I just buy bulk packs through eBay (there's a really good seller in Puerto Rico). Get a 30-pack and choose the ones that fit best. A 30-pack will run you less than the cost of buying just 3-5 belts at a time. Then you're still left with a decent pile that you can use for future projects. It's a policy that has served me well over the years.

Looking forward to the rest of the resto.
    <Insert "Popcorn" Smiley>
    :)

nickeccles likes this.
  4. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Exactly this. There is just no point in paying over the odds for 3 belts when you can buy a mixed pack and have 20 or 30 extra.

5. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I have one of those but none of the belts fit here and since I hate the mess I just paid for Priority shipping.
    Thanks for the tip, I shoul be receiving two mega-kits thru eBay in a few weeks :)
    and should be receiving another package, hopefully the right ones this time, today

6. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

Belts can be a lottery at times .

7. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if this helps but they have a lot of belt information on this site. http://russellind.com/downl.htm Hit PBR Line Catalogue and then the PRB Belt XRef on the dropdown menu.

8. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Thank for the tip, great site! What surprises me is that everything in pdf format, but if done in Microsoft Excel that would be easily searchable. But not for me to judge, maybe MS Excel is not on all folks computers?

9. Mister X

The bottom link is belt cross-reference software to load on your computer...

10. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I ended up with two belts from Consolidated Electronics (http://www.ceitron.com): sm10.4 and ss5.2, these look and feel like an exact substitute for the originals.
    L1100551.JPG

Bought a few kits off eBay, the one which looked real promising for Walkmans: http://www.ebay.com/itm/152363267618?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
    is a total waste of time. Uneven cut, they are is softer than household rubber rings. Mike Fremer (analogplanet.com) likes to cite his grandmother: "you pay, you get!"

Anyway, here is the final result of my efforts, playing Yello in my den:
    L1100610.JPG L1100605.JPG L1100625.JPG

11. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

12. Mister X

I can't see any difference except that Jorge's look like they may have had a screen?

13. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

His speaker frames are perfectly round. The ones in that link are octagonal (which is typical Philips).