1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PIONEER CT-F1250 In-depth review

Discussion in 'Cassette Decks' started by walkman archive, Dec 30, 2017.

1. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Hi dear fellows!

I'm ve just published a new review in my webpage, this time about the wonderful PIONEER CT-F1250.

pioneer_ct-f1250_25.jpg

If you love decks, this deck is a milestone and it's hard to not to fall in love with it. I hope you like my review.

2. Elite-ist

Elite-ist Well-Known Member

Thanks for providing this insightful review of the CT-F1250, Hugo. There's lots to read, so it might take me awhile to respond with any further observations from my experience with my CT-F1250. But, I think you've done a very in-depth analysis.

Nando.

walkman archive likes this.
  3. Elite-ist

Hugo: One thing you mention in the CONS list is the deck doesn't have independent record balance, but it does. Another feature is the dual pairs of play and record outputs/inputs, where most decks have only one pair of each.

Nando.

4. walkman archive

Thanks a lot, Nando!
    I’m curious to know your opinion about the review and about your own F1250.
    When I mean independent record balance, I mean a knob like the one in the K909ES, not a record knob with separate channels. So, two knobs: one for the rec level and another for balance

5. Elite-ist

I appreciate any articles devoted to decks I own because it's an affirmation of my own experiences with the CT-F1250. Yes, there are those who will also criticize your article, but have never taken the time, effort, and research to compose anything comparable. You have my support, Hugo. I blow off some of those cantankerous opinions, because those so-called experts rarely, or never, become involved in mix tape exchanges or Travelling Tape projects. The only opinions that matter and hold weight with me are from those people who are not afraid to show off their deck's capability by recording something shared with others.

Keep those articles coming and don't be dissuaded by non-influential opinions by armchair critics.

I could go into detail about my own CT-F1250, but I would have to give it more thought. Of all the decks that have come and gone in my possession, my CT-F1250 remains a part of my system.

[​IMG]

Nando.

6. walkman archive

Thanks a lot Nando.

thanks for your support.

Note for everyone: Nando is talking about critizism I've received from some guys at tapeheads.net that are always searching for that very small phrase or word that they don't like and blame over it. They aren't worth even one word more.
    Frankly, if I found new, in-depth, articles of anything related to one of my passions, specially if it's one that has a very small communitty I'd be grateful for it as it helps spread the word and make this hobby/passion more enjoyable. Sadly, there is people that don't think the same.

It's true that the F1250 is a quite old deck and indeed needs though service to make it shine again but to me it's one of the most valuable decks ever. In 1979 it should be a milestone, as well as the F1000. PIONEER comparing it to the Nakamichi in one of their commercials shown quite a lot of courage...

anuncio_pioneer_ct-f1000_vs_nakamichi_01.jpg anuncio_pioneer_ct-f1000_vs_nakamichi_02.jpg

Command8 and James Tervit like this.
  7. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

I was always attracted to this deck and wasn't sure about the comparison and what to expect, the review is probably one of the most helpful for me as the comparison is based on someone comparing two decks they own. It really is mega important to have an old deck fully overhauled and upgraded with new caps etc .... Great review.

8. walkman archive

Thanks James.
    It’s difficult to describe how a deck sounds with words or images. That’s why i tend to be objective and stick to measurements. However, there are some things that I don’t know how to measure (and probably science still don’t know, like spaciousness). To me the best score is when it sounds identical to the source. Can it be better?

James Tervit likes this.
  9. walkman archive

Nando, is that photo from that multi deck competition you were in?
    I’m lucky to have the S9000 and the 3014 too in my collection :biggrin: .
    How would you score your 1250 in regards to the source? Did you experience issues calibrating tapes from late 80s and 90s?

10. Elite-ist

Yes, that was our first Cassette Deck Shootout held in March of 2011. I wrote an extensive article about the event. Regardless of all the forewarning of what the Shootout was and wasn't - then the results - there was plenty of criticism of how the Shootout was conducted. But, it still gets tape enthusiasts going and it has been shared by other forums apart from Tapeheads.Net. I like controversy - and that was a very controversial event. You will see how my Pioneer CT-F1250 did in the Shootout. I didn't experiment with a huge number of different tape brands on the CT-F1250 - I preferred Maxells and Sony cassettes, of all tape types, so I had no issues calibrating for those.

https://www.iavscanada.com/innovative-audio-cassette-deck-shootout/

[​IMG]

Nando.

11. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

excellent article Hugo
    You always put a lot of time and effort to make your articles a reference guide to audio enthusiasts

12. walkman archive

Many thanks Boodokhan!
    I’m glad that you like my review.
    I bet you would love this pioneer with those blue fluoroscreen.
    It’s surprising that this 30 years old deck performs in such way, against much newer decks. Those guys at pioneer knew indeed what they were doing...

Boodokhan likes this.
  13. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

Exactly everyone is obsessed with specs but any decent deck serviced that produces source sound is all good. For me the rest is just taste, opinions and emotional. Which can all be interesting.

14. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

My dream deck is the CTF-1000 which I can picture sitting on top of my SA7500 amp and Pioneer GEQ. After reading your review I'm kicking myself for not buying a CTF-1250 which was offered several years ago. Thinking I'd find the CTF-1000. Of course outside the USA very unlikely.
    C'est la Vie.
    Cheers
    B

15. walkman archive

I have a second F1250 that is actually in @Sergi 's lab being serviced, to put on sale after that.

Silverera likes this.
  16. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Excellent. Send me a link when you list it!
    B

17. walkman archive

ok! I'll send you a pm

18. ciclosysombras

ciclosysombras Member

I wish I had more money and luck to have this deck, it has to be the best way to take your vinyls with you on well recorded tapes. A greeting!

Las cintas bien grabadas, ojalá tuviese más dinero y suerte para tener éste deck, tiene que ser lo mejor para llevar tus vinilos contigo en unas cintas bien grabadas. Un saludo!

19. walkman archive

Well, this kind of decks sometimes appear here and they usually go for less money than on eBay. Also there are other decks that are much cheaper and performs at almost the same level, like the SONY K611 that you can now see in other thread this days here.
    When I want the best quality I record from vinyl but for convenience I use my computer as source...

ciclosysombras likes this.
  20. Silverera

Silverera Active Member

Two on eBay recently went for reasonable prices but had issues. The big problem is freight cost outside the USA is prohibitive.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018