1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pioneer SK-909L

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by mrp32Dave, Feb 5, 2017.

1. mrp32Dave

mrp32Dave Well-Known Member

Very very pleased to get this for a reasonable price extremely happy :biggrin:.
    Picked it to up today on my bike! (bubble wrap cardboard and more bubble wrap) a very cold 120 mile round trip, well worth it and probably much safer than posting :lollegs:maybe not with my riding, took it easy on the way back. It's in nice condition with only a few minor cosmetic issues which can be easily sorted, except for one slider knob, anybody? some minor pitting on most of the control knobs already polished a few up and it virtually disappears.
    The front is very nice, the trim needs gluing back on but that's it.
    The deck did work for a while in play mode but stopped so the main belt must have snapped or come off, needs to be rebelted anyway so not a problem.
    Already started to strip it down for a good clean and rebelt, judging by how filthy it is inside and how tight the screws were I don't think it's been apart before!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

2. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

I love mine, used to have about 5 of them, i have a smaller box the sony f40 and it's a couple of kg hevier than the 909 just a beutiful box, congrats Dave, btw i have a slider here, send me you're adress and it's yours free mate, btw how much did you get this one for ehh, mine wasn't cheap but it has been rebelted etc

3. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

Nice Bike nice box nice gesture Reno.

Brutus442 and Radio Raheem like this.
  4. mrp32Dave

Yeah I think I'll love this once it's finished, sounds really nice, thanks for the free slider :thumbup: I'll PM you my address.
    You had 5!!! :shock

I got this for £230 which I think is a good price?

Radio Raheem and nickeccles like this.
  5. Radio Raheem

mine cost £500 lol but years ago you could pick em up for £30 i guess thats how i had 5 lol the slider is in my hand wright now, when my mate comes on tuesday i'll get him to post it as im just not mobile at the moment, cheers mate:thumbsup:

nickeccles likes this.
  6. Radio Raheem

thanks chris lad, least i can do. Hey chris mate, was it you who rebelted litfans f40 bro, i think it's the most treasured box in my collection, im actually too scared to use her, if you know what i mean

Brutus442 likes this.
  7. mrp32Dave

Thanks again that's great!

Yeah most boxes were pretty cheap a few years ago, but sadly not anymore, in the current market I think it was a good price.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  8. Radio Raheem

i agree, great price Dave:thumbup:

9. Deliverance

Yes some years ago and a very well made compact box and fun to rebelt .

Radio Raheem likes this.
  10. Deliverance

A good price at that Dave .

11. Radio Raheem

least i know with you're skills, she should outlast me lad, nice one:wavey:

12. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

I saw that one Dave and almost bid, it was requested for the third time though so I didn't feel confident bidding. That's a cracking price

13. superlew

superlew Member

Whoa - 120 on a bike in the cold - Now that's dedication!
    Love the SK-8XX's & SK-9XX's. :thumbsup:

Brutus442 and retro like this.
  14. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I saw that one go. Too rich for me at the moment but not a bad price I reckon for a rare box in reasonable nick. Congrats :)

15. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Congrats - 909 is a great very well built machine with a nice sound. :)
    Btw, cool Yamaha.. :nodding:

16. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

That's lovely mate - It's outside of what I would pay (Probably :biggrin:) but so desirable!

Enjoy the clean up, take your time with it & all will be well :reelspin: :reelspin:

17. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

120 mile round trip for a box?? (I admit, I'd do it in a heart beat for a 909!):nodding:
    It's a beautiful box that just needs a bath. Totally worth the effort and hats off to you Reno on the offer of the sliders. Right out of the gates you offered them up for nothing! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:..how about that shed you promised to send me Reno??:yesss::biggrin:

Radio Raheem likes this.
  18. Radio Raheem

As always you're to kind Geoff, i have Retro fitted the shed so when you have had enough of that wench you go and visit you can move in geoff, complete with my collection lad:wink::wavey:

Brutus442 likes this.
  19. mrp32Dave

Before I start I'd like to say a big big thank you to Reno for the missing slider top :worship: which arrived this morning packed in a large padded envelope with loads of bubble wrap :thumbsup: the 909 is now complete :biggrin:

The 909 was wasn't too dirty on the outside, but inside was a different story it was filthy and dusty, so removed all the boards and gave it a good clean.

1.jpg

2.jpg

With the front removed there surprisingly wasn't too much dust, so gave the front a bath and cleaned up the speakers etc.

7.jpg
    3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Next up was re-belting wasn't looking forward to this, but in the end wasn't that difficult I think my M9998 was more of a pain.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg
    Once you have unplugged all the connectors and got the two boards out the way the deck can be removed

13.jpg

To get to the belts there is a plastic cover to remove a circuit board and back plate.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

18.jpg

I polished up all the switch tops and virtually all the pitting has now gone and they look really nice, while I was doing this I noticed the foam that supports the search buttons and makes them springy had rotted, they were loose and didn't return properly, so this was replaced.

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

Now the bad part, once I had re-assembled it and was testing the deck, mechanically it was perfect and all the search, repeat and auto play functions were spot on, but :thumbsdown: no left channel :shock !
    So I removed all the boards again double checked all the connectors, cables and checked the boards for anything obvious found nothing :scratch2:. So studied the circuit diagrams in the SM and started tracing the signal path. When I was checking the relay that switches between record and play I noticed the trim pot for decks left channel output level didn't look too good, upon checking this it was open circuit and when I shorted it out the left channel was back :yahoo.
    I had a bag of 20k pots so I replaced both channels sorted!

23.jpg
    24.jpg
    25.jpg

26.jpg

Now with both channels back (radio and line in had always worked) started to fine tune the deck, I had already cleaned the heads and pinch roller so just needed to check the azimuth. It was then I noticed it was playing slightly slow right just adjust the speed then, err no not without removing both circuit boards to get to the motor, but you can't operate the deck with these removed, why didn't Pioneer put holes through the boards?
    Anyway turned the pot a tiny bit clockwise put the boards back on, got it spot on first time.
    Now I was happy with everything I put it all back together, I've never known a box with so many screws!
    So here it is finished and what a beautiful machine, and sounds just as good :biggrin:
    I say finished there are some scratches, nicks and some paint loss on the top panel, I will remove this at a later date and address all those problems and give that section a new coat of paint.
    There is also the yellowed back panel and sides to sort,once the warmer sunny days are back I'll try Retrobright on these.
    So here it is, it's turned far better than I could have hoped for.

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

43.jpg