1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations please...

Discussion in 'Cassette Decks' started by Michelle Knight, Jan 21, 2018.

1. mankamaz

mankamaz Administrator Staff Member

Hi Michelle

There are a lot of good 3 Head decks, Pioneer CT93, Sony 909ES, Technics RS-B965, but if you want to do great recordings you need bias adjusting to tune each tape before recording, some of the top level decks has autocalibration (Pioneer BLE/AUTOBLE) but that decks are reallly expensive.

In the mid range you can find a lot of good decks, for example, the AIWA AD-F810 is a 3 Head deck from 1995 and very easy to service, has bias control, and is easy to find.

Michelle Knight likes this.
  2. Michelle Knight

Michelle Knight Active Member

Thanks :) ... I hope to get my 705 back next week... and then I'll have to start saving for a decent deck, and also one that I can either maintain myself, or get maintenance for.

All this info is being filed for when I've got the free cash!

3. Michelle Knight

I'd like to thank everyone for the recommendations. I did a bit of a hunt on e-bay and eventually ended up with this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SONY-TC-K...DUAL-CAPSTAN-DDRIVE-NEW-BELTS-RC/302592945858

Sony Japanese version of the TC-K909ES - I'm not sure if I'm going to have an issue with voltage... I'm fairly sure that it's a Japanese import and I'm going to need to convert from 240V to 100V ... but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. Any opinions on that, would be very welcome.

Blew my budget to hell, but it's one of those things... if you miss it... it's gone.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  4. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

Hi Michelle
    that is a beautiful Deck. Its sold. Did you buy it?
    I have some component that made for 220V (Europe version) and i use a little transformer to convert 220 to 110V

5. Michelle Knight

Hi, yes I bought it. I think it might actually come with a transformer. It'll take a week to get here, at least.

Can't really afford it, but I knew that if I waited, it would be gone. Such is life. :)

6. Yari

Yari New Member

Hi, guys. I see that you have mentioned AIWA AD-F810 cassette deck here. In 2-3 days I have to choose between this one and AIWA AD-F880 - what will be a better choice soundwise? Thank you in advance.

7. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I think the F810 is just a few years newer than the F880, they look nearly identical, they're probably nearly identical in sound reproduction. I've got an AD-F810 in my main rack, they're great decks.

Yari likes this.
  8. Yari

Yari New Member

Thank a lot for your advice, Mister X. Yesterday I also read on some forums that the mechanism on F810 has been simplified - still good but not as on F880. Plus one friend of mine from Ukraine, who used F880 for a long time, said that he had chosen this model as its audio circuit has slightly different elements, which a better than in F810. So I am still hesitating about what to choose: I like F810 for its real-time tape counter (almost all my decks had real-time counters) but do not want to sacrifice reliability and sound quality (((

Mister X likes this.
  9. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I don't know about the insides and I just have the one AIWA, I might have another out in the shop somewhere. Hopefully they aren't too expensive over there, mine was around $15 at a thrift a few years ago.

10. Yari

Yari New Member

Yesterday I talked to one guy who repairs Hi-Fi including cassette decks (and he has fine-tuned F880 for a friend of mine I'd mentioned above) so he told me that from his personal experience, F810 sounds better in stock condition than F880. So I already ordered F810 from my seller in Ukraine. Many thanks for your help too!

Mister X likes this.