1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Restored! (Almost) Sharp GF-700z

Discussion in 'Gallery' started by 2channelhero, Jun 27, 2017.

1. 2channelhero

2channelhero Active Member

These seem to be pretty popular according to my research. I got this one for dirt cheap maybe because of all the DIRT in it! This thing also had paint splattered on the bottom left corner, eating into the original printing on the unit, but I got most of it off. Looks ok. The tape heads and rollers were ruined by dust and moisture, and the belts were turned to goo. Replaced all belts, heads and pinch rollers, and plays great now. Deoxit on all sliders and knobs and sounds excellent! These are very tough boxes! 34 years old and still repairable!

Just look at this beauty! IMG_0007.JPG
    It was missing the stop button on the left deck, so I took the pause button and used it for the stop. Better to be able to stop, then pause. I also need a battery cover.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    nickeccles and Mystic Traveller like this.
  2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Way to go!!! Nothing beats bbox thru a decent cassette (recorded from LP onto Nak deck in my system): no match to the hi-end "sweet spot" rig but to my ears bbox preserves the fun side of music. Since I bought my first, in decades, bbox, my AR iPod dock is dying quietly in storage...
    The convenience of iPod and such is overwhelming, so if anyone managed to find a dock which beats cassette please let me know!!
    This is my "barbecuing" Sencor, sounds awesome!!! Beats Philips "Elephant" each and every time, at least to my aging ears ;-)

Attached Files:

nickeccles likes this.
  3. 2channelhero

2channelhero Active Member

That is one sweet looking Sencor! Love be the Red accent! This Sharp does an ok job of dubbing without any level controls. No continuous play, it just plays two tapes at the same time. Makes for a cool flanger effect if u can sync them exactly! Lol

nickeccles likes this.