1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RetroThing.com

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Mister X, Nov 9, 2017.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

Anybody know what happened to retrothing.com? He's only posted a few times in the last couple years. If you haven't seen this site, be prepared to spend a few days down in it.....

http://www.retrothing.com/

Mystic Traveller likes this.
  2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Oh that looks like a fun place, I can see me wading through that over the next few weeks....

3. Mister X

The site is awesome, lot's of posts on Walkmans and boxes but sadly not much updating lately....

4. Mister X

Sorry to revive an old thread but the RetroThing.com Website was one of my favorites and this explains the lack of updates. If you haven't been on it, there's some much good stuff and I can see how these guys got a show but the synopsis sounds like some of the tiresome "drama" reality shows.

For some reason TV can't do the YouTube Style, everything has to be a timeline, or too expensive, or the guy that wanted to sell now wants to keep everything. These guys really like boomboxes, Walkmans and other related equipment but, unfortunately it's not showing up on my cable system. Their websites were really popular, I wonder why they didn't update them to show what they were up to.

https://www.tv-eh.com/tag/bohus-blahut/

Vintage.jpg

5. Mister X

The first episode was on last Friday Night! I give it an ok, the subject matter is very nice but sometimes these made for cable reality shows really go slow. I much prefer homemade videos on YouTube but I'll still watch this one. I missed this part! I was probably taking a beer and boombox break, now I need to catch up on the whole episode which had an original Pong, some other vintage home video games and some goofy stuff I wouldn't buy. They did find a Back to the Future Red JVC VHS-C and bought it, that was a beautiful example of a shoulder mount camera.
    https://www.fyi.tv/shows/vintage-te...ug=vintage-tech-hunters-season-1-preview-list

VTF.jpg

6. Mister X

I watched another episode and it's tanking quickly. I love the subject matter but putting the Storage Wars/American Picker's spin on it stinks, the episodes kind of drag on, the cliff-hanger before every super long commercial break has to go. Everything is super high priced and then they bundle and get a "better deal." I live by them but the prices they find are several times more then I'm paying. They go to the world's longest garage sale, 90 miles long, but only show three things, that only should be enough material for several episodes. It's pretty obvious they know most of the people they're buying from but they act like they're strangers, sadly I think this show will be one season and done.

Last night they did find a Sinclair C5 Electric Vehicle which are super rare over here. Their website has a page where you can buy the items, the Lasonic is still on there along with a Nagra and some other really cool items.
    https://www.vintagetechhunters.com/

VTH+108+-+Sinclair+C5+3.jpg

7. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

A whole video on the C5

I'm not surprised they are rare in the USA. Can you imagine going down the same road as some 18 wheelers in one of those ?
    Actually can you imagine going down the same road as some 7.5 ton Ford Cargos in one of those ?
    For that reason they completely tanked in the UK and just about finished Sinclair off.

Mister X likes this.