1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saba Journey 3 - Stereo Compact Sound

Discussion in 'I found this!' started by lxndio, Aug 24, 2017.

1. lxndio

lxndio New Member

Just found this on the attic. It's a Saba Journey 3 and I thought, some of you would be interested in it as it seems to be pretty rare, especially outside of Germany.

thumbnail1.jpg

This is the Journey 3 Walkman from the front. As you can see, it is nearly entirely made of red plastic. It does not feel cheap, however. Actually, it feels pretty high quality.
    As you can already see, it has an FM radio built into it. There is no antenna sticking out of the device on any side but the reception is pretty good.

thumbnail2.jpg

On the right side, you can see a switch to choose whether you want to listen to radio in stereo or mono. Beside that, there are three cinch ports. One is for headphones, two are for a stereo microphone. Down below is a dial to tune the radio station.

thumbnail3.jpg

It's a SABA Journey 3 using two AA batteries.

thumbnail4.jpg

There is a combined button for stopping the tape and ejecting it and some other usual buttons. The slider on the left pauses the tape, the slider on the right switched between tape and radio.
    I don't exactly know, what the VOLUME LO HI slider is for but it seems to be quite useful when listening to CrO2 tapes as the device does not have a switch to select the tape type. You can't use Dolby of any kind as well.
    On the right side, there is a built-in microphone which is pretty good (I mean pretty good, at least for voice recordings).
    You can also record of the radio tuner if you want to. Just switch on the radio and press RECORD.
    Another neat function: If you press the rewind or fast-forward buttons while playback, they just keep activated while you keep holding them down. Pretty nice when searching for something on a tape.
    Also notice, how the arrow below the playback button is pointing into the wrong direction. Thats because the tape goes into the Walkman upside down.

All in all, even though it's missing a tape type selection or Dolby modes, it is a pretty darn good Walkman. Sound quality is good on both tape and radio and the built-in microphone is much much better than I expected it to be.
    If you find one online, buy it if you're into collecting Walkmans. Definitely a great collector's item.

Mister X likes this.
  2. StaticAudio

StaticAudio Active Member

Very nice radio-cassetterecorder, never seen this one before! Saba is not a brand you find often.

I think that the caption "VOLUME" belongs to the volumecontrol above it and the caption "LO HI" belongs to the slider button below the caption, which obviously acts as tone control. You could use it as normal-metal position, but it's not meant for that.
    The fact that there is no antenna is because it's used with a headphone, of which the wires act as antenna for the radio.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
    Mister X likes this.
  3. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

I was never a SABA fan at all, but this one looks interesting...

Mister X likes this.
  4. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

This walkman look beautiful.
    I do not have any SABA player. Is it a German brand?

Mister X likes this.
  5. lxndio

lxndio New Member

Yes, Saba was a German company producing radios, cassette and VCR recorders and alike.
    They produced this Walkman in 1985, one year before they went out of business.

Mister X likes this.