1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sansui Au-3900 and TU 3900

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by Mister X, Dec 1, 2017.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

If I find something somewhat cool I tend to buy it, especially if they're giving it away. I found a nice little mid-70's Sansui AU-3900 Amp years ago for a few bucks, but the sticker on the top said "as-is." I thought I had tested it out and figured it was a dead unit, good for repair when I start taking on bigger projects. A couple weeks ago I happened to find it's matching tuner, I really wasn't looking for it but it was always on my radar.

I didn't test out the tuner but it was also cheap enough that I wasn't losing a lot of money if it didn't work so I bought it. I've been looking forward to trying both of them out again to see what the issues are and I can't believe my luck. I plugged in the amp and got the red light above the volume. Getting excited I plugged in the tuner to the amp and grabbed one of my Realistic Minimus Speakers. Unfortunately...nothing but some weak lights over the signal and tune meters. I was getting some scratchy feedback which was encouraging so I went the next step and hook up an antenna. I didn't need to have the wire more than an inch or two and I already started hearing a station. After fully hooking it up, I got that famous Sansui Spot-On Tuning. You can see by the signal meter, my little antenna is getting close to full strength, I have a hard time doing that with my other receivers. Both of these are dirty and dusty but they should clean up pretty good. I always love the look of the 70's metal black faced Sansui's, they kind of lead the way for things to come.

DSCN2183SM.jpg