1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sanya Espera ES-P7

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by greg, Jul 21, 2017.

1. greg

greg Member

Hey there!

Loft find: Sanyo ES-P7, super thin walkman. With the remote control.

Nicad was dead. Gumstick type, ordered another which should fit, but a bit thinner, but can't find a charger for love nor money...any ideas?
    I bunged in a 1.5V AAA and shunted in a biro spring to complete the circuit, and the bad boy makes some spinny noises, but no take-up spinning etc. I reckon 1993 is the vintage from the surrounding ephemera found with it.
    Encouraging me, I unscrewed the back, thinking correctly it's the drive belt...

Discoveringly, the drive belt is goop so I ordered a pack of 50 assorted on the 'bay, but no idea how to pull the thingto bits safely! Belt needs replacing then all should be super!
    Anyone have the service manual or a linky?

Cheers muchly

Greggers

2. Minty

Minty Member

Hello there my friend. Ah the ES-P7, the coolest Walkman ever made in my view. It still looks like it was only made yesterday. I have a spare charger for an ES-P7 which you are more than welcome to. Just pay me for postage.

Regards.
    Derek.

3. greg

greg Member

Hi Derek,
    You're so kind! Love to take up your offer! Should I PM you? Greg
    2017-07-23 23.48.30.jpg 2017-07-23 23.49.03.jpg

4. Minty

Minty Member

No problem. Yea, just send me a private message.

5. greg

greg Member

So, a bunch of drive belts arrived from the 'bay in the post today...I tried over a couple of hours to put one, or two, in place, with little success.

Seems the bands are the right profile, square/diamond. They're of the right assortment of lengths. They just won't go in!

Clearly, I'm a noob.

Well, they will go in, but the motor spins up though it doesn't have enough torque to drive the belt round/there's too much friction along the way.
    Without the band in place, there is plenty of frictionless spinning in the drivetrain.
    I've worked out the way the pinch-rollers rotate; I've kinda realised a pully wheel for the pinch-roller on one side, very clearly contacts the other side of a pully for a plastic wheel for the belt, as this drives the take-up spindle in the correct direction.

As I can't seem to get the belt in place without a quantity of friction restricting the motor fully turning, I thought it best to ask advice here: Pictures inclded
    I'm guessing someone has some knowledge, even if it's a rather unusual walkman.

Please, may I indulge you?
    Kind thanks...
    2017-07-26 23.29.53.jpg 2017-07-26 23.37.03.jpg 2017-07-26 23.29.53.jpg 2017-07-26 23.37.03.jpg

Attached Files:

6. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

I'm no expert but have rebelted a few walkmans, in my experience buying a generic belt pack is fine for boomboxes but those same belts will be too thick for a walkman and they often need a correct diameter belt.

7. greg

greg Member

Well, I picked up a working WM-EX194 in a charity shoppe for a fiver. Sat in my place for a week, then musing it would be a source of a belt perhaps, I just got to it...

It fits! The belt fits, however, it's still a bit grouchy and won't properly play a tap when loaded, yet will engage both ways when dummied on the sensors in the bay.

So, with the pics below, could people chip in and tell me if I've got the belt loaded correctly?
    DSC02198.JPG DSC02198.JPG DSC02197.JPG
    Kind thanks.
    PS The WM-EX194 is going to anyone interested (gratis, postage if outside UK)- see alternate thread.

8. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

Generic belts are always a bad idea. Marian is the best source for all correct belts.

9. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

upload_2017-8-10_9-22-44.png

i think you should use 0.7mm belt.
    @mihokm can help you with appropriate belt.

I am not sure if you placed the belt correctly. I marked the photo where i think might not be correct with a red arrow.
    I do not have this walkman otherwise would open it to guide you but i am sure expert members can help you. What i see from the picture i have never seen a belt to be placed the way you put it.

10. Gáb

Gáb Member

Did you solve the Problem? I have similar Problems and don't know how to insert the belt correctly.

11. greg

greg Member

Explained above, it's not super easy from memory. I ended up selling it.

12. Gáb

Gáb Member

A great pity. Thanks for writing greg...