1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Service manuals for Aiwa PX557 and Sony WM-EX502

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Michelle Knight, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Michelle Knight

Michelle Knight Active Member

I am watching two walkmans on ebay and hoping to snag them. I might not, but if I do, I'm going to need service manuals for these two please... if anyone has them.

There seems to be a bidding war brewing on the Sony, so it might go too high, but the next few days will tell.

Given than it's going to take four months before Mouser get a re-stock of the 100uF caps, I need something to play with in the mean time :)

2. bub

bub Active Member

I would not recommend that Aiwa unless it has the external battery pack, there are other identical 4ZM models that accept AAA batteries. They are decent performing models, but capacitors need replacement and bad pinch rollers are common.
    Logic problems surface in these 4ZM the moment something goes out of spec.

That Sony is kinda "meh". It sounds OK, and belt change is easy, but that's about it.
    (I have multiple copies of these 2 walkmans)

If you can't find a specific model of 100uf, buy a different brand/model- as long as it is around 5.4 mm in height, and 5mm in diameter. 6.3mm diameter is OK in most situations.

3. Michelle Knight

Michelle Knight Active Member

It's got the battery pack. I did place a bid on it, so that it couldn't be removed... and it looks like I might end up unchallenged! Logic problems? Sounds like the PX303 all over again !!!

The Sony looks like a nice size. I just want something that will keep me running while I get my act together on the 303's. I'm fairly sure that the 303's are down to logic issues now, and I looked at the transistor list the other day and every one of them looks to have a different part number, so I sort of thought to myself, "How the heck am I going to source all these?" and then gave up for a while.

The caps are already bought and paid for. Plus, I do have a habit of diving into things way to fast, and unprepared... so perhaps having the brakes on will do me a bit of good, if you know what I mean.