1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sharp 5p 37h

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by davebush, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Big Bad John

Big Bad John Member

It's a 12" tube Dave so maybe a spare 12" tube would do the same job, maybe not necessarily by Panasonic though that would probably help, point is I've got to spend more damn money now and I can't be bothered till this credit card debt is paid off at the beginning of May, I owe them £1,600-ish now because I paid £200 yesterday. I'll have to store it till I can have the money for a repair, got several radio-cassette machines already that work fine albeit some with minor issues.

As for the USB side of things, if I could run the VCR/DVD through a tablet I'd have used the laptop in the first place and saved a truckload of money on TV ghetto blasters!.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Sorry to hear things didn't work out John. A single line on the TV implies something in the electronics rather than the tube has blown.

If you just want something that works I would be inclined to just look out for an old TV. Unless it is something collectable like a Discoverer, Videosphere or one with a wooden cabinet, CRT TVs are be worth very little these days. Five years ago when I sold a working 28" Panasonic on Ebay "collect only" (and that meant collect from the lounge as it was a two person lift) I got £1.20 for it :crybye. Of course in thirty years time when demand is exceeding supply it will probably be worth much more.

I have even seen LCD TVs without Freeview in second hand and charity shops for under £20.

I'm not sure how you would use a tablet although I have seen TV tuners for Android. With a PC you could use something like a Hauppauge USB box. Make sure it does analogue as the most recent ones are Freeview DVB only which is no use for connecting to things like a DVD recorder.

3. Big Bad John

Big Bad John Member

Well if the tube hasn't blown it shouldn't be too expensive to fix, I bought this machine because I liked it - I want the bastard WORKING!, firing on all six - or three in this case!, radio cassette and television. I got the sound from the video tape I tested it with, just no picture. It's funny because I was getting a full picture before I bought the mod albeit all static and squelch noise like you used to get on a CB radio, soon as I was on a 'winner' it turned out to be a 'loser'. I'll be storing it till I can afford a repair, I ain't giving up yet, I've got several other machines for radio and tapes.