1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp GF-9090 - Really muffled sound from tapes & aerial fitting query

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by NStar, Jan 8, 2018.

1. NStar

NStar New Member

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I last posted. Last time I was on, I'd got hold of a Sharp GF-9090 which wouldn't play tapes at all. Over the xmas period, I managed to remove all of the black goo (my god, that stuff is sticky!) from the perished tyre on the capstan ('scuse poor terminology) and swapped out the pinch roller and put new belts on.
    Success! Tapes now play, however, they sound like they are being played on a stereo buried underground as the sound is so muffled. I cleaned the heads with alcohol wipes as part of the restoration, so am a bit puzzled.
    I've done a bit of reading up and apparently my next steps are to adjust the azimuth on the heads in case it's out of line with the tape and demagnetise them too. Does anyone have experience of doing this and what level of success did you have (along with any useful tips)? Also heard that bending the tension spring on the pinch roller has helped. No idea how that could help, or how to do it (total newbie here).

Also, as part of the strip down, I removed the aerials. Can I get them and the washers to line up so I can screw them in again? No I can't haha. How on earth is this possible? :)

2. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Yeh if it’s muffled it likely needs tweaking. Just play a tape and adjust the little screw until it sounds clear. Can’t remember whether there’s an access hole for this on a 9090 or not. If not you may have to do it with the front off.

As for aerials just put the aerial in first then slip in the washers. Wiggle a cocktail stick or such like in the hole to get it to line up. Then bung in the screw. Job done.

:)

3. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Agree with @Northerner : sounds like you have to play with head alignment. Just pop off cassette cover and in Play mode the adjustment screw should be easy to reach.

4. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

A different model but some good close ups here

You don't really need any test gear.
    Most people just twiddle the screw until the sound improves.