1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sharp qt89 head replacement

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by mrn, Feb 3, 2017.

1. mrn

mrn Member

i got a qt89 with weared tapeheads and clicking ev. not really working switches.
    the tuning of the fm part seems also to be quite strange: only strong stations are clearly audible, the rest is disappearing, or de-tuning after few secs or by the slightest touch of the tuning echanism.

question:
    - are there new tapeheads available for this machine, even in olnger lasting / expensive version than the originals?
    - would you recommend using heads from a d6c, or decks like tc-k22, tc-k33, tc-k66! these are the ones i can use for spare partsnrecently.
    - the tuner thing... is it the big tuning capacitor causing the weak tuning capability of the radio, or do i need to replace all caps, and retune all rotating/tunable elements?
    thanks in advance for all your thoughts on the topic!
    ciao, mrn

2. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

You can almost certainly use a generic rec/playback head or on from a scrap machine & it will work just fine :wink:

Be careful soldering the existing wires to the replacement head, it is a fiddly job but patience will prevail.........

Tuning capacitors rarely fail I would blast all the switches in every area with a generous dose of servisol/deoxit cleaner & work them over & over - You can also give the tuning cap a blast but not too much - I have restored many a tuner this way - the electronic side of portables (Especially Sharps) are generally very reliable & rarely fail in my opinion!!

Maybe someone else has an idea of what it is?? Look for bulging caps etc & replace if any are leaking - I doubt there will be many :wink:

Find a head from a scrapper my friend.........I wouldn't bother trying to find a new one, the quality could well be questionable :swoon2

A good used head will be better made than a cheapo 'New' one :thumbsup:

3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Are both decks equally worn ?

Re the tuning AFC (Automatic Frequency Control) is supposed to keep the FM properly tuned if the Radio drifts (which an Analogue tuner will) but can have strange effects if something isn't working right. As Nick suggests a good clean of the switches etc might help.

4. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

If the heads are clean etc and it sounds still muffled, you could spray some servicol on the heads and leave it over night, sometimes it works wonders as i had a box and both the heads were very dull sounding after constant cleaning etc, after doing this about 3 times the heads are as good as new, an old member told me this and it worked miricles on my box, good luck

5. mrn

mrn Member

thanks for the replies!
    yes, both decks are worn, both heads show lots of usage, and even one gummy roller is deformed (play was pushed... :( so i will neednthat one too)
    i will try a tc-k22 or tc-k60 head. these are the spare ones which i can use now. although they seem to sound completely different in the same deck!
    or.. i can get one from a sharp wq dual mechanics. we will see.
    the caps and head soldering .. clear! i will pay attention. thanks again.
    cheers!
    m.