1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sharp VZ-2000

Discussion in 'I found this!' started by Mister X, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I was enjoying the thread from our Toronto Member, who mentioned his huge collection was mostly bought from local classifieds, last night. I don't always go there first but I thought it would be a good time to check the local craigslist. I never get too excited to look as the good boxes only seem to show up every few years. There must have been something in the air because I saw this guy listed and described as a very big boombox, with no model or manufacturer mentioned. There was no mistaking it, the tales are endless on here about it's size and beauty. Although I've never seen one in person before I had no doubt what it was. The photo looked like there was little damage and the price was right. I emailed the seller in the early hours of night hoping for a response today. The stars really lined up and I had to be in the area of the box early this morning and the seller was available so I popped over to buy it. I think he was surprised when I told him I collected boomboxes, since this one had been sitting idle for 20+ years. But here she is.....

DSCN0536SM.jpg

2. Brandon

Brandon Member

That's in fine condition good score!

3. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Have you tried it yet ?
    From what I have read they suffer from perished belts in the Record Deck.
    The good new is that new belts and information about fixing them seems to be readily available.

The VZ2000 or VZ2500 is probably the only box on my wishlist.

I have asked before how the two compare but haven't had any replies.

I have probably posted this before but it might have been on the old forum so here it is again.
    vz2000.jpg
    Kays club catalogue 1982

Risingsunproject likes this.
  4. Mister X

Thanks Longman! I haven't plugged it in yet, it's been a really long day but maybe tonight. The thing is huge so just getting the cord plugged in takes a little effort. I have a fairly large stash of belts so I'm not too worried about the right size yet. I don't know if it needs one but I have to believe after sitting for 20 years it probably does.

5. Risingsunproject

Risingsunproject Active Member

Just spotted this in a tavern smoked out no speakers seems to work i am not sure i should make him a deal.............

IMG-604569ff86229db47ebff455906d8058-V.jpg

6. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

@Mister X , You got a beautiful box. It looks very clean. Does it work?
    I cannot wait to get one of these beautiful sharp boomboxes in red.

7. Mister X

Risingsunproject, nice find! I spot stuff like that every once in a while but they never want to sell. We've got a million ice rinks over here that have some pretty high-end 70's equipment they still use and some old bars up North that I spot some cool gear every once in a while. I do have two major scores from the local ice rinks, two full size Leslie Speakers in mint condition (from the ice rink organ) and a full set of Frazier Speakers with horns (they used these a lot on top of the center scoreboard). The Fraziers are neat because they only need around 10 watts to light up the neighborhood.

I did crank up the radio Boodokhan but haven't tried the turntable yet, it's pretty loud and seems to be in decent condition. Boombox season was good to me this year and I'm shuffling things around, my main techbench is in my semi-heated garage and it's in the low 30's on a good day, so it's hard to get my hands to cooperate.

8. Risingsunproject

Yep the problem with those is that no original speakers means almost nothing for collectibility and its on you if you like to snatch the unit or not
    I see those going from almost 0 (this condition) till 400-500 euro but i would not offer him more than 80.the thing is if i am to insult him i rather let him tell me a price if i actually want to do that which i haven't decided
    If i had the skills to refurbish completely i would go for it.But till now i can only perform a deep clean that's it!So it's another project for the experienced for me maybe a waste of time and money!

9. Mister X

I feel like those were sold with speakers as an option. They don't go for a ton over in Japan nowadays, you could probably get the speakers for a few bucks but the shipping costs would be a killer. One sold on ebay over here for $150.00 USD with shipping (33 lbs) without speakers but they don't come up often.
    https://www.jauce.com/auction/j467434823

Here's the Japanese Brochure for the V3, click on the link for the full brochure
    http://my.reset.jp/inu/ProductsDataBase/Products/SHARP/VZ-V3/VZ-V3.htm

Sharp-VZ-V3-004.jpg

10. Risingsunproject

Great info i know now how the original speakers look like!
    I am considering a combo if i do not find the original ones
    Those are not with a remote i guess
    I tried to buy from those japanese sites before however with no success yet!

11. Risingsunproject

Mister X when you have the time please point out the differences between the 2000/2500/3000+ series
    I like all of them and when the time comes i want to have a collection of at least one of every vz series!
    Found another combo maybe its the european version of the speakers or a darker pic!
    By the way are those portable or should i post this on other equipment?llol!

s-l1600-3.jpg

12. Mister X

I don't know much about them, I remember systems like this seemed to be targeted at women since they took up much less space than the more manly component system. Linear tracking was also highly controversial and most players back then seemed to be either very high end or cheap and plasticy. Putting this in an all-in-one unit killed any hi-fi ambitions it might have. The three units all seem to be based on the vertical turntable starting with the boombox unit, your shelf unit, that is considered an "all in one" and not portable, and the smaller mini-component system, which seems to be Japan-only. It looks like one of the blogs mentioned these might have been built for the Sharp Optonica Line, stereo equipment aimed at the higher end of the market; something changed and they kept the Sharp Name on them. Some of the other members might own the 3000 but I've never seen the component system for sale.
    Here's some Japanese Blogs, mostly with the Sharp V2000:
    http://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/360315/blog/38744921/
    http://blog.livedoor.jp/yakusokunonatu/tag/VZ-V3
    http://blog.goo.ne.jp/rxb10511jp/e/dbedf5d74ad28fa87b2860eab23f9ed7
    https://ameblo.jp/sixtep/entry-10924018649.html

5937989287.jpg

13. Risingsunproject

i find the boxes cooler here is a random pic of a vz2500
    I can spot tthat the tape on the 2500 is on the front of the box but it must be a bigger box!

4c7edfd185be94e28cf39f514e09d948.jpg

14. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

iv been told these sound pretty dreadful over and over so i wouldn't spend a fortune on 1

the vz 3000 will need it's speakers re foamed if you find any

15. Mister X

The nice thing about the Sharp VZ-2500 is you can you it to put all your trinkets on top! I think the VZ-3000 is bigger, the tweeter is in the spot where the tape deck is on the Vz-2500. Using the top of the turntable as a guide, the 3000 is about four inches taller. This is an interesting site although it hasn't been updated in 13 years....
    http://www.lchr.org/a/56/cz/id28.htm

2de8daa0.jpg

16. Mister X

17. Risingsunproject

Is that on the left something from Zenith owl type radio hehe?
    I like this one out off topic again!
    VINTAGE_OLD_EARLY_1951_ZENITH_OWL_EYE_RARE_COLOR_ANTIQUE_BAKELITE_CLOCK_RADIO_04_op.jpg

18. Mister X

No, this is an owl radio! It went for $112.00 USD, super cool. It looks like something out of Jason and the Argonauts...

owl.png

Jason and the Argonaut's Bird

bubo.jpg

19. Risingsunproject

then you are only missing this and a boat collection complete!
    lol
    9059960.jpeg

20. Mister X

I need some Ouzo!