1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someon Challenged Me Which is Better. Digital or Analogue

Discussion in 'Other formats: DCC, MD, Reel 2 reel, CD...' started by James Tervit, Jan 9, 2018.

1. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

I have a very big collection of vinyl from the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's to present day. I have the same in reel to reel, 3 3/4, 7.5ips and 15ips 4 Track and 2 Track. I have a high quality DAC which is fed from a QNAP 4 disk bay drive.

All sound fantastic, however I recently discovered that if I transcode on the fly my FLAC library to WAV the sound quality goes through the roof. I also recently upgraded my amplifier interconnects which also increased the BASS and mid-range, foreground on all sources etc

The 2 Track reel when recorded from my Digital library with a great source and a good source Vinyl onto the same tape, they sound magnificent and better, is the digital track on tape better or is the vinyl track better, neither they are perfect..

Analogue introduces an atmosphere and helps our ears to hear things more pleasantly, after all we are analogue.

1. Digital is convenient and getting better every year
    2. Vinyl is here to stay as most cannot afford studio tape masters
    3. Reel to Reel beats them both.

7.5 ips Reel

Turntable high end

High End cassette

High End CD

DAT High End 48khz

Of course all of this sounds great to me and is delivered compressed via the digital internet.

My point is this, we all have different systems, different configurations and we will all hear in different ways.

BEST is whatever your happy with the music.

I have heard bad Vinyl and Bad digital, in the end its all about the source, but I do know this, the Digital combined with Analogues tape is the best we have ever had to maintain our beloved music.

What's my preference, all of them together makes me happy.

My turntable and my system is of course better than anyone hahahhaha

Command8 likes this.
  2. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Just sitting at work and having a quick listen to does tracks using my work setup, a desktop headphone amp and headphones linked to my computer. I was expecting to hear the same track on all the different format, so i can compare. For some reason reading your post led me to think all the tracks would be the same, anyway i enjoyed them.

Oh is the turntable the Model 20 by the way?

3. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

That's a great idea, I will get a single track, a good one and have it on all formats. I like all formats and they all sound good if they have a good source.. My TT is the 20/3a with an ortofon Cadenza Black, a match made in heaven for me. It will take me some time but I will get it down and post an update.

4. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Yes i thought it was Model 20. I have not heard that combination of the Model 20 / Ortofon Cadenza Black. I have heard both the Model 15 and Model 30 with the series V and Lyra Skala cartridge. Both sounded very nice.

5. James Tervit

James Tervit Member

20/3a comes with the V arm and I doubt I will ever change it. I would upgrade to a 30 but that's a while away, huge money.