1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony CD Player CDP-101

Discussion in 'Home Audio Gear Chat Area' started by buzbox, Dec 21, 2016.

1. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Sony's and worlds first compact disc player for the consumer market. Picked this up recently in very good condition. Turned on but didn't play. Found all the grease had hardened up. After some cleaning with WD-40 and new plastic grease it's now working!!!

IMG_1168.jpg

2. Patron

Patron Active Member

Buzbox,, what model number is that CD player?
    It looks great by the way.

Sorry I just read the post again. Thanks. Lol

buzbox likes this.
  3. mankamaz

mankamaz Administrator Staff Member

Beautiful machine!

Do you have photos of the steps done??

4. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

WD-40..the cure all! The problem with that stuff it doesn't last too long and attracts dust like flies to sh!t.

Nice work buzbox! It looks like it's in fantastic condition.

5. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Haha that is true. I just used WD-40 to free up the stuck parts. Gave it a good shot with my air compressor also. Then some grease. I might clean it again in the next few days. Will take some photos and point out what and where I cleaned.

Brutus442 likes this.
  6. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

inside this player it's a Philips

b.t.w. one of the best players at all time !!!

7. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

I don't think so.

At the time there was a big debate as to which was best: Philips 14 bit 4x oversampling or Sony's 16 bit but with no oversampling.

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/...ion/1998-first-generation-cd-players-how-good

Another give away is that the Philips (and AKAs) were the only CD players to swing the pickup rather than track linearly.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  8. Simon

Simon Active Member

I have a similar looking Philips to that. I really liked the look of it and it appeared mint but I put it aside when it wouldn't even power up. Other gadgetry has been taking up my time since then and I'd forgotton about it until now. I'll find it out tomorrow and upload a pic....and probably spend longer then i think trying to get some power to it! What else is Boxing Day for! Could just be a fuse, though I'm not that lucky!

9. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

As I understand it Sony and Philips worked together to develop the first cd player. They were suppose to launch their players at the same time but Philips were delayed. I also have an early Philips CD 202. Also working but waiting on a new led display for the timer.

10. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

What they worked on together was the "Red Book" standard which defines the discs themselves, thus avoiding another Betamax vs VHS style debacle. Some more information here:

http://www.whathifi.com/news/cd-30-years-old-today

11. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Just changed up my setup. Picked up two CDP 701ES players and another CDP 101. Got one of the CDP701ES to work so for now I'm using that for cd's. Damn it's a heavy beast!!! If anyone is interested in the spare CDP 701ES and CDP101 players please let me know.

image1.JPG

12. 19lexicon78

19lexicon78 Active Member

philips cdp's are better than the sony's. so go for cdm1 and the crown dacs.