1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony CFS-9000

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by mrp32Dave, Feb 13, 2017.

1. mrp32Dave

mrp32Dave Well-Known Member

Always liked the look of these a bit like a mini FH-7, wanted one for a while but been waiting for a really nice cosmetic condition one, this one is nice :biggrin:
    So gave the outside a good clean, it was covered in a white dust looked like lint? so guessing it was bedside radio, which explains the good condition.
    took it apart to clean dust from the inside and sort the deck.
    With the back and front removed the deck is easy to remove just four screws and a lot of plugs.

3.jpg

With the deck out I could see that the belts had gone hard, but there was another problem?
    More on that problem later, change the belts first there's two main belts and the counter belt this is important as it's also used for the auto stop detector rotation.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

There's a handy little hook to put the main belt on so when you put back plate on you can just lift it on to the motor pulley, thank you Sony.

12.jpg

13.jpg

Belts done now the other problem, in the photo below (circled) you can just see the small white gear that rotates the head for forward and reverse. This should be on the metal shaft that protrudes from the head block, but clearly isn't where it should be.

4.jpg

The next photo shows more clearly what's happened and there's a crack in the gear.

5.jpg

With the gear removed it's a bit more than just a crack there's also a piece missing, on both my FH-7's this gear was also cracked, but no parts missing so I just epoxied them on to the shaft which worked well, I can't do this on this one because of the missing part. I thought about just locking the head in it's forward position, this would've been interesting because in reverse that side would be played backwards.

23.jpg

I was thinking about how to repair this as I wanted the deck to work as it should, it was then that I realised I'd seen this same mechanism in another of my Sony boxes, but which one :scratch2:
    Then I suddenly remembered which box it was the tiny Sony CFS-F11S :yahoo, amazing that this very small Sony has the same mechanism!

24.JPG

Anyway this was already in pieces awaiting repair as the head was missing, now I know where to get one just that gear will be a problem.

The two mechanisms side by side.

8.jpg

So to cut a long story short the same gear was removed from the CFS-F11, it's made from a very different plastic and grey looks much stronger, maybe an update by Sony because of problems with that gear.

New gear fitted

7.jpg

Temporally put the repaired mechanism back in the CFS-9000 and it worked perfectly, very pleased.

Now to sort the speakers both main front grills were loose and more white dust.

1.jpg

Re-glued the grills back on the APM trims and cleaned up the speakers.

2.jpg
    Put it all back together a final test perfect :biggrin:

Here's the end result, very nice indeed.

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      71.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  2. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Damn thats a great resto, handy having that lil Sony available for parts, you made that look easy.

Very nice looking Sony and i bet the sound is cracking. :thumbsup:

3. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

A nice Sony .

4. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

yea nice sony, i had one but im not sure where she went, cracking job mate

5. nickeccles

nickeccles Well-Known Member

Excellent Job :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

6. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

Super! :thumbsup:
    This Sony is the looker! :nodding: Love FH series.

7. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Great clean up it looks brand new.

An impressive number of Shortwave bands for a boombox too.

8. superlew

superlew Member

Great work! :thumbup: Broken gears are one of the biggest P's ITA. I've thrown in the towel on few few decks for that reason.
    Gorgeous Sony. Passed up on a local CFD-5 for relatively cheap - Just wasn't doing it for me at the time. I'm kinda regretting it now.

9. mrp32Dave

mrp32Dave Well-Known Member

Sounds very nice amazing bass, but only on mains power on battery power it has a much lower output. here's the specs:

CFS-9000 Amp Spec.JPG

The amp chip is an STK4301 and it's output power is dependent on voltage supplied, on mains it gets around 30 volts which gives it maximum output, on battery power it only gets about 13 volts maximum output is 4.8 watts, so much less power but still sounds nice though.

Yeah it turned out really nice, 5 SW bands not bad for a box, not much use without an external aerial though.

I agree not long ago repaired my Philips 774 after finding a Philips mono with the same mechanism and good gears swapped them over with some minor mods.

Been after a CFD-5 for a long time, I would have been all over it, I'd regret not getting it too.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  10. A O

A O Active Member

Great stuff. You really do take excellent pictures.

The CFS-9000 is a great box. I think mine went to Greece a couple of years back where I know it's in very safe hands.

11. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I have one of these that I bought in a bulk deal, not really used it though. I would've killed for one back in the day as it's top quality Sony :)

12. samovar

samovar Well-Known Member

Actually yours went to Italy -- but you're right, it's in very safe hands :) How are you doing in your new location, old goose? ;)

13. A O

A O Active Member

Yeah, sll good here Sal. We're actually not far from you and are planning a visit to Sothern Italy as we speak.

14. samovar

samovar Well-Known Member

Oh, you must definitely let me now! I'll pm to you my personal contacts, hope we can meet at some point :)

15. rcpilot23

rcpilot23 Active Member

Does anyone know where I can buy the counter belt for the Sony CFS-9900 (9000)

16. Easthelp

Easthelp Active Member

Minutes before posting this message, I realized: this topic's over two years old!:ohmy (Notwithstanding an Australian member recently popping in to request help with parts.)

Still, as others have been telling you, Dave: good going with restoring that Sony CFS-9000 and with reviving its tape-handling duties. (Though you seem to have permanently "borrowed" the cassette-deck mechanism from a smaller Sony product:shrug:. Or was it just a part or two that you "reassigned" from the smaller to the bigger?)

Yes, indeed: one the one hand, how could Sony share tape-deck machinery of its huge, stately CFS-9000 with a much smaller, arguably lowlier CFS-11S, shortwave band or not?

On the other hand: I still think that CFS-9000 units are big, black boxy beauties in a collectably rare class.:wink: (Shared perhaps with JVC PC-R550s and Panasonic RX-CW200s ...)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2021
  17. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I don't think you need a precision belt for the tape counter, I'd buy a pack with multiple sizes and try that out. Otherwise I'd contact Fix Your Audio, on the home page for a correct belt.

Some of my nicer tape decks do require a tape counter belt, there's a counter on the digits, similar to a turntable strobe that, I think, helps the deck with a memory function. They don't seem to work without this belt.

18. rcpilot23

rcpilot23 Active Member

thanks I found a seller on ebay have 2 coming

19. rcpilot23

rcpilot23 Active Member

Just an update I have finally worked out why the reverse and FF dont work. Its because the tape mechanism drops about 1.5mm too low when in stop mode. If I push from the bottom of the tape head slightly up the reverse and FF works perfect. It seems to have case of old tech droop :) gravity has taken its toll after 34 years. So I fixed it with a tooth pick cut down to size.