1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony Discman D-350 (D350) - External Battery Pack - Internal AA/AAA Battery Holder ?

Discussion in 'Discmans, Minidisc, DCC and other players' started by kidofthe1980s, Aug 25, 2017.

1. kidofthe1980s

kidofthe1980s New Member

Hello All

Recently picked up a Sony Discman D-350. Its in great cosmetic condition however it skips tracks infrequently on and off but nothing to distracting....lovely addition to the my Discman collection.

Couple of questions :
    - Does any one here on the forums have a loose external battery pack that they would like sell, please ?
    - Alternatively, if anyone had a loose external battery pack for the D-311. for sale - which I understand fits the D-350 ?
    - Does anyone on the forums know whether a AA or AAA internal battery pack chassis was made for the D-350, like other earlier models.

Thanks for your assistance.

2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

External gondolas for D-350 are as rare as power supplies for Technics SL-XP7, it is much easier and cheaper to buy full package from the start. I do not wish you luck finding one simply because you need a small Miracle, not just luck here ;)
    Internal battery compartment for BP-5 is so small that AA won't fit:
    L1110771s.jpg
    Never saw 2xAAA adapters, your best bet is to hardwire two AAA (or rechargeables!!), or rejuvenate your original BP-5.
    Li-Ion cell for iPod fits BP-5, it is on my To-Do list

3. kidofthe1980s

kidofthe1980s New Member

Thanks Jorge for your reply and for answering my questions...

Guessing it will be in the lap of the gods, that I stumble on one of these external battery packs...8)

When you mention Li-Ion Cell for iPod fits BP-5, do you have a particular make, type, model of battery in mind, please advise ?

Thanks again.

4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

this is what I have, cell on top was pulled out of iPod (5-th gen):
    L1110776s.jpg
    zoomed to see exact models:
    L1110778s.jpg

As a temp solution, two AAA Li-Ion "in parallel" (otherwise you get 2x3.7V=7.4V) is the easiest fix:
    L1110779s.jpg

BTW, do not get fooled by those 600+mAH AAAs. Here is how they look once you peel shiny outer foil:
    L1070998s.jpg

Make sure you buy them with overcharge protection! Each battery needs its own chip.

5. kidofthe1980s

kidofthe1980s New Member

Thanks for the pics and the info...have ordered 2 x Palm V/XV batteries...to try and rebuild as a BP-5 !
    Will post pics when I get them and installed ...

6. kidofthe1980s

kidofthe1980s New Member

Hello...have the 2 x Palm Vx in hand now...how did you go about making a solid connection to the pins inside the battery compartment ??? Help... thanks.

7. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

I never did! But solder two wires to the board, next to the batt connectors and pull wires outside thru the slit.
    I could not find any info if these Li Ion cells have charge protection, without it you will have a small fire! I had one and it was not pretty, my family almost killed me and my little hobby!!!