1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony TC-WR810/WR10ES Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Cassette Decks' started by Daniel, May 21, 2017.

1. Daniel

Daniel New Member

Hi everyone - First post!

I recently bought a used, broken Sony TC-WR810 for a tenner. The thing was filthy... sticky, smelly and had clearly been abused. Now, I've cleaned it up as best I can and apart from the dirt, the unit looks in fair shape.

I've fixed the broken eject on Deck A which was locked shut, removed a nail from the interior (!) and replaced both belts which were stretched and hanging off. The unit now plays, but has a few problems.

Deck B has wow and flutter and deck A constantly switches between sides. When it plays (between switches) it is slow, like it is dragging... almost as if the motor doesn't have enough power... but as a look the motor and capstans are spinning freely. I have dismantled it again, applied silicone grease to the moving bits but the problems remain.

Do any of you experienced folk have any suggestions initially on the autoreverse? I suspect it the the drag causing the mechanism to think the end of the tape has been reached and causing the switch.

I bought the deck as a learning project, so am happy to go anywhere with this! Thank you in advance :)