1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony TPS-L2 Help

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by mackle89, Jan 17, 2017.

1. mackle89

mackle89 New Member

Hello, first post!
    I recently picked up a Sony TPS-L2 Walkman in great condition and I'd really like to try and get it running. The light turns on when I press play, and I can hear static when I plug headphones in the jack, but the motor does not turn (I was planning on replacing the belts anyways so I opened up the back to check and sure enough the motor doesn't turn). Is there anything I could do or check to try and get the motor working? I'm new to all this but I'd really like to get it working! Thanks!

EDIT: Sorry, meant to post this in the walkman chat area!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

This post should be in walkman section. I think by mistake posted on boombox section
    Anyway, I think your TPS-L2 needs capacitor replacement.

3. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Moved, this will get more input in the walkman tech section. Welcome to the forums Mack :biggrin:

4. mackle89

mackle89 New Member

Sorry for the mix up, thanks! A new capacitor? Is that something I can replace? Are capacitors for the TPS-L2 available?

5. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

I am not sure whether or not you can replace capacitors. Obviously you need to have some experience on soldering and working on electronic boards.
    We have a member who ha a lot of knowledge about capacitors. see the following topic and see what "bub" recommended about TPS-L2 capacitors

What i mentioned about capacitors is my personal opinion and i am not an expert. Please see what other members recommend/ suggest.

We have some Professional members who can repair your walkman. I think you should get their idea as well.

6. bub

bub Active Member

Try running the motor solely off a single AA battery with no load. If it doesn't turn, try turning the shaft by hand and see if it's stiff/stuck.
    Capacitors are unlikely to cause the motor to not run.

7. mrp32Dave

mrp32Dave Well-Known Member

I had similar problems with my TCM-600's, the motors didn't turn and were to stiff turn by hand they had seized, I used a small amount of WD-40 on the bearings to free them, once they were free cleaned away any excess oil. This was about 8 years ago and they have been fine ever since.

8. mackle89

mackle89 New Member

So just place a single battery in the back, with no cassette in and press play? I tried turning the shaft but I can't really even get two fingers in to turn it. Is it supposed to be able to turn freely? Like if I just try to run it with one finger? Because I can't really turn it.

Maybe it is stuck because I am having a difficult time turning it. So you just sprayed some WD-40 near the shaft there?

Attached Files:

9. mrp32Dave

No don't spray it will go everywhere and cause other problems, also remove the belt from the motor.
    Spray some WD-40 into a small container and with the motor vertical pulley at the top use a small screwdriver or similar to put a few drops on the shaft where it comes out of the motor below the pulley, leave for a few hours and try turning the motor again. If it still doesn't turn protect the pulley with some tape and very carefully use a small pair of pliers and try to turn it, be careful not to damage the gears, if it still won't turn apply a few more drops of WD-40 leave and try again, eventually it should free up. Ideally the motor should be removed from the Walkman and even removed from it outer case, this would be easier and quicker, but if your not an experienced repairer then this may not be for you.

10. Ken80s

Ken80s Well-Known Member

11. mackle89

mackle89 New Member

Yeah, I'm somewhat comfortable soldering and such, but I know next to nothing about boards and new to Walkmans in general so I was hoping to try and keep it all together. So I will try and run a couple drops down the shaft and let it sit and see if that does anything. Should it be able to turn pretty easily though? Also, are they only meant to turn one way?

12. mrp32Dave

The motor may still be very difficult to turn, try it gently with the pliers if it won't turn by hand, if you feel too much resistance leave it and apply a few more drops of WD-40 and wait again. The motor can be turned in either direction, to free it it's probably better to try and move it gently backwards and forwards.

13. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

I agree with Dave, sometimes this works with great sucess, good luck

14. mackle89

mackle89 New Member

Still not having much luck :/ It's still difficult to turn but much easier by hand than it was before so maybe it helped loosen it up a little, but it still won't turn on its own. Is there anything else I could try?

15. mrp32Dave

Good that it is now a bit looser, all I can suggest is putting a few more drops of WD-40 on the shaft and turning the motor back and forth, keep doing this and I'm sure it will free up.

16. bub

bub Active Member

I suggest you do the final lubrication with an oil that won't evaporate. I generally use sewing machine oil.
    To get it free, WD40 should work, dissolving the old oil. The guys in the old thread tried 99% isopropyl alcohol as well, I think you can try adding a bit of that on the shaft to free it too, but I would refrain from drowning the motor in either.

17. mackle89

mackle89 New Member

Great news, its starting to free up! I've been keeping up with dropping WD-40 in it and now when I press play it will run for a few seconds but get caught again. I'll keep up with it and update when its up and running.

18. mackle89

mackle89 New Member

Hey guys so I'm having a couple new problems. The motor works great now and I put the new belts on but I'm wondering if its running backwards? The part that turns the cassette tape (I apologize I don't know the term for it) looks like it turns the wrong way. It also seems to be pretty loud, any suggestions?

Attached Files:

19. bub

bub Active Member

Belt not routed correctly- check pictures of other TPS-L2 belts.

PJ0688 likes this.
  20. mackle89

mackle89 New Member

Ah, I see where I messed up, it's running good now but it still seems loud?