1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony WM-3 repair

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by WalkmanGirl, Apr 10, 2017.

1. WalkmanGirl

WalkmanGirl New Member

IMG_1816.JPG Hi everyone, this is my first posting on here!:wave:
    I have an old WM-3 that I would like to get running again. The seller who sold it to me said it's a working unit but needs a new belt replacement. If I had more experience with repairing these I would do it myself, but I don't unfortunately and wouldnt wanna risk damaging anything if I tried to. Can anyone offer some help? Thanks

2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

hello walkman girl
    welcome aboard
    I have very limited knowledge about walkman repair but i am trying to help.

Changing the belt on this walkman is easy but you have to make sure the problem is only the belt.

(By the way, internal structures of WM-3 and TPS-L2 are identical)
    first step: place fresh batteries and push the play button. Do you see the light turns on right away and motor running??? if you see these 2 conditions then you can change the belt. The best source to buy the belt is from one of our members @mihokm . I can help you with simple photos to change the belts. This walkman needs 2 belts

If the light turns on right away but motor not running.
    The answer might be in the following topics:

http://www.stereo2go.com/forums/threads/sony-tps-l2-help.427/#post-3144
    http://www.stereo2go.com/forums/threads/motor-not-working-on-a-wm-3-rebranded-tps-l2.706/#post-5482

I do not know the answer if you see the light turns on after few seconds. I have several TPS-L2 with this problem and unfortunately haven't found the answer yet

We have some professional members who can repair your walkman. As far as i know they are located in Spain, Italy, Slovakia and Singapore. Sadly i do not know anybody in America who can professionally repair walkmans.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  3. WalkmanGirl

WalkmanGirl New Member

Hi Boodokhan, I do believe it's just a simple belt replacement. The red light comes on when it's powered up and I can hear a humming sound from the motor running, so there's no problems with that. If it's an easy process to change the belts then with some help from you I can try and replace them myself. I'll also send a message to mihokm.

4. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

great
    I will post some pictures later to show you how to change the belt, step by step

5. PJ0688

PJ0688 Member

Hi WalkmanGirl, I've got WM-3 aswell, but mine needed a motor replacement and belts. If you want to repair it yourself, you'll need to take notes of where each screw went. The trick part it getting the flywheel off as it means getting the amplifer board, but once you do that it's fine.

6. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

I found this video a great help with my TPS-L2 and wm-3 last week.

thid likes this.
  7. WalkmanGirl

WalkmanGirl New Member

Sounds good, thanks again!

8. WalkmanGirl

WalkmanGirl New Member

Thanks for recommending this video doublecee, I took a look at it and it was actually very helpful:thumbsup:

9. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

when you do get the belt in, the way the belt loops on the motor is a little weird....

once the belt is fitted, do not re-assemble and play a tape straight away... first check that the tape hub is turning counter clockwise.
    if it does, your all good.

If it doesn't, you just need to invert the way the belt loops around the motor...

And by that I mean JUST the bit that attaches to the motor, the rest of the belt path stays the same. Hope that's clear. Let us know how you get on

You machine should be running silently, and very stable... if it doesnt, some more work may be needed

When I serviced mine last week, I also gave the inside a good blast of compressed air to remove dust, as well as lubed the parts that needed it, and removed old belt debris from the flywheels etc. The TPS-l2 and WM-3 are now my two most favourite things