1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony WM-DD ebay

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by funkitall, Apr 10, 2017.

1. funkitall

funkitall Active Member

Well I have been stung by ebay seller on a Sony Walkman DD...
    The advert said
    Item condition:
    Used
    “IMPECCABLE condition”
    Vintage SONY Walkman DD in pristine condition. Motor works audibly however likely new rubber belt required to restore.

On 29-Mar-17 at 08:21:34 BST, seller added the following information:UPDATE: Another ebayer contacted me, this model of Walkman does not use a belt, it uses a set of nylon cogs

So it arrives.....in goes my test tape, new batteries and wham.....it powers up, no movement and then it just dies.....
    Take the tape out.... powers up, no gear movement and then dies....

Also the Walkman does not have a battery cover but does have the should strap bag......

Two things, does anyone know what the cause maybe?
    I am trying to have this sent back to the the seller as this should have been marked as "parts not working" not as "used"...
    I don`t have £60.00 to spend on a knackered machine....even if the unit is cosmetically sound..

any thoughts?

2. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

The Sony WM-DD is the earliest model with the Disc Drive transport and with 100% probability it has the centre gear cracked. Mine has a 2 mm gap and the gear would stop rotating when the gap reaches the capstan cog. It needs repair.

as a side note: unless it is clearly stated that the gear has been repaired, all DD's (including the most recent DD33) have the gear cracked or it will crack very soon.
    Even if kept in a drawer for 30 years, the gear would crack anyway.

3. funkitall

funkitall Active Member

Hi Enry
    Is it an easy fix for a novice?

I have a DD22 and that has an audible motor sound but that is the "click" so this is what I expected when buying a machine with "Motor works audibly".

Cheers

4. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

My opinion: if it looks cosmetically in pristine condition, keep it and have it repaired
    but if the cosmetic condition is not desireable send it back

5. enryfox

enryfox Active Member

Not an easy fix for a novice; actually not easy also for expert :)
    You need a technician who can fix it properly: you can find help here in this forum or on ebay.

The WM-DD22 has a different transport which uses a belt rather than a gear to move the reels. The tape transport is easier to fix (you can find kits with belt, idler and pinch-roller on ebay), but DD11/22 suffer from failing capacitors which need replacement.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  6. funkitall

funkitall Active Member

Thank you Boodokhan and Enryfox

It sounds like an expensive job to repair and therefore in my interests to send it back......I only purchase working units as I still have all of my tapes going back to the 80`s so i still play the things, well apart from the "Kingsonic" tapes that I have as they are really iffy quality.....

7. funkitall

funkitall Active Member

oh...and I have a DD-30 courtesy of Corry not the DD22 as initially mentioned....:crazy