1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony WM-DD9 BIN £25

Discussion in 'I found this!' started by mrp32Dave, Dec 11, 2016.

1. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Get it serviced or change the belts yourself, that should minimise the problem.

2. Jørn Bonne

Jørn Bonne Member

Thanks guys! I had read in the DD9 manual that "Two-motor Disc Drive and Quartz Lock capstan servo assure accurate and stable tape transport, greatly reducing wow and flutter . . . . Since the rotation of motors is controlled by the accurate frequency of the quartz servo, distortion of the sound caused by the unit being moved is slight".

It therefore came as a surprise when I started using it that there would be a wow and flutter issue at all. The w&f specs are given in the manual as 0.13% weighed RMS, compared to 0.07% for the DC2 and 0.04% for the D6C. So despite the claim in Sony's description above it seems to be the weakest of the three in the w&f department?

Like Dave I'm a bit hesitant about opening up and messing with it myself. The innards are more complicated than the other players I have opened to change belts, lubricate etc, some of it seems well above my level of understanding. But I'll do it if I have to. Is there a video online showing how to change the belts and tires on the DD9?

I cleaned the tape path and rollers thoroughly yesterday and there is now a clear improvement. Also cleaned battery terminals with DeoxIt D5. Talked to seller about it and he told me that it had seen very little use in the ca. 5 years he had it, and that the guy he bought it from had said the same thing. This leads me to suspect that lubrication inside has dried up and could well be part of the reason here. I'll try to use it for hours every day for a while to see if that helps.

JB

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  3. TooCooL4

I have to admit i never believe specs, i always go with real world experiences. I go by what my ears are telling me. I have all of those machines you listed.
    I bet if you can change the belts, things would improve.

4. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Strange.... I don't think it's normal to hear w&f on your DD9..... First thing to do is fully dismantle and lubrucating.... On my D2c , even with classical music, like fe Swan Lake... Sounds perfect!

5. Jørn Bonne

Jørn Bonne Member

Yeah, same here, never had this problem with the DC2 or D6C that I have both used for 30 years. Had two of both of these, all with very stable sound, until one of the DC2s died after years of increasing loud clicking.

It threw me that the DD9 would have this problem. So maybe I'll have to open up to check the belts and lubrication points. Hope I can find a video that explains how to and where respectively.

JB

6. TooCooL4

I have the DD9 service manual, if you need it PM me your e-mail address and i'll send you a PDF of it.

7. Jørn Bonne

Jørn Bonne Member

Thanks for the kind offer, Chris :thumbsup:.

I already have it and have looked through it many times, one of the reasons I'm wary about opening the player. Disassembly looks very involved to me and the diagrams not easy to read for a layperson IMO.

I have searched the internet for videos showing disassembly, belt change and oil points on this model without much luck.

Last edited: May 10, 2017
  8. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

As TooCool says, just start with new belts.... And from there on see what causes the unstable speed...

9. Jørn Bonne

Jørn Bonne Member

- I've been running the DD9 for hours every day this week hoping to soften up and liquify the lubrication with movement and heat, in case it has dried up and gone gluey in the years the player has sat with little use.

We've had some very cold nights here this week and I tried leaving it in a cold room overnight (C 10-15), just to see. And sure enough, wow and flutter is worse when playing while it's still cold, even without moving it. After having warmed up for some time in a warm room it behaves much better, only causing problems when moving about with it. So I guess cleaning, lubrication and also replacement of rubber belts is needed.

I search the internet for a good desciption on disassembly, lubrication and belt change, but very little useful stuff has come up, with photos mostly no longer available, and no videos so far.

Have cleaned it some more, head, pinch rollers and capstans. Only the plating on the + battery terminal is still a bit rough now and I guess a leaking battery must have been left in there at some point.

JB

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  10. mrp32Dave

mrp32Dave Well-Known Member

Hi, here's the disassembly instructions from the old forum by Doc P, I found it very useful and a copy of the service manual, hope these help.

Attached Files:

11. Jørn Bonne

Jørn Bonne Member

Thanks, Dave! Just what the doctor ordered. I'll take a close look at this and see if I can muster up the courage to plunge in.

I followed your lead and found the old thread also, but now with the photos gone. But between the PDF photos and the old thread text I should be able to get the full picture.

12. Jørn Bonne

Jørn Bonne Member

Talked to Servicekompaniet in Oslo today, Sony's repair shop here. Tech told me he hadn't seen a DD9 in 10-15 years and that they had no parts for it. He found the parts number for the rubber bands though, #335713301, but informed me that these were no longer available from Sony's main branch in Belgium either. He said the situation was similar for DC2 and D6/D6C parts.

Meanwhile I've been running the player for long hours every day to see if that will help stabilize the transport eventually.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  13. Jørn Bonne

Jørn Bonne Member

I have run the player for two more weeks and it now sounds really good, as long as it's lying still. When out walking with it on my belt it still sounds like a Walkman on horseback, to use DocPs description of his.

I'm ready to open it, and thanks to DocPs instructions on the old forum think I should be able to change the belts without making a mess. Some of the other adjustments he's describing, idler tyre and motor adjustments etc. I'll do later, if necessary. What's the best rubber rejuvenator for the idler tyre and pinch rollers?

I asked Marian M if he had the belts for it, but he didn't at the moment. Do any of you guys have some to spare or know of a good source for the right size and quality belts for the DD9?