1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony WM-EX50 very low volume

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Ant1vl, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Ant1vl

Ant1vl New Member

I've searched the internet, but found nothing about following problem. Hope someone has experienced it and maybe has a solution.

I have 2 WM-EX50's. They both suffer the same problem: very low output volume through headphone output. I connected different headphones, but sound is hardly audible. Probably some component in the signal path has degraded over time i guess.
    I've downloaded the servicemanual. However i don't know which part could be malfunctioning or even if it is replaceble at all.
    Does anybody here have experience with similar problem? I have several walkman, but this model is the only one with this problem.

2. bub

bub Active Member

CDV likes this.
  3. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

My buddy Kaosun of kaosuncd.com says the same thing as @bub : recap first, start combing for trouble later!! And, unlike myself, Kaosun knows what he is doing allthetime!
    So, if its low at both channels its a busted bypass electrolytic, if not... But start with a full recap, that is a given!

4. Ant1vl

Ant1vl New Member

Thank you both mucho, i will try to do a recap :)

5. xequtor

xequtor New Member

did you recap your EX50? if yes which caps did you change?

6. Ant1vl

Ant1vl New Member

Yes. I replaced all the caps and that fixed the problem. Walkman sounds very clear with good volume now.

edchocolate and CDV like this.