1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

strange warning on cheap sony cassette player

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Reflex85, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Reflex85

Reflex85 Member

I bought a cheap sony cd/cassette player and noticed in the "tape play" instruction said... use type 1 cassette ONLY as other types are not supported.

for 30 something years I have played "whatever" kind of cassette in whatever kind of boombox without any problem. If it has a cro2 position I will use it and if not, I don't worry about it. Why would this player list a warning like that? What will happen if I use a type 2 in this player? Has something changed over the past 30 years that I need to know about.

I figured it just wont sound as good as a box with high bias select but what do you guys think

2. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

...if you buy a Volkswagen, they say in the manual to use original Volkswagen-oil only - when you buy an iPhone they tell you to buy Apple-accessories only - etc.etc.

I'ld do the same if I'd sell anything that needs accessories

3. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Just use the cassettes you want.... They Will all play!

4. Transistorized

Transistorized Active Member

I have heard of this before. Basically what I have been told is the heads in cheaper decks are not hardened and are more likely to wear more when other tape types are used. I have not had any issues though and have played all types without any noticeable issues at all

Mystic Traveller likes this.