1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

suggestions

Discussion in 'Announcements and suggestions' started by samovar, Aug 3, 2017.

1. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

This is a quote of the message I was sent from the tech team of the old platform:

"Hi, Hugo:

We can give you a data dump, which would be a series of SQL dumps of a few different databases. There is also a MongoDB JSON dump of the activity stream data, and a zip file of all attachments and files. The cost of this for your site (which is rather large) would be $300.

Note that the dump is not in human-readable format, and we don't provide any assistance reverse engineering the database."

That's ALL the information we have about it.

These are the files we got:

Stereo2go hoopla DB 02_resize.jpeg

And this is the content of the .tgz compressed file:

Stereo2go hoopla DB 01_resize.jpeg

No idea what format is the new database but you can read info here:
    https://xenforo.com/help/importing/

Can I ask why are you asking that? Are you a computer pro?

2. walkman archive

Good to see you Nick.
    Regarding the moderation tools, I still don't know what exactly you and the others cannot do. I try my best but the control panel of this new platform has zillions of options, menus, submenus and hundreds of things. I only know how to deal with a 5% of the platform which is enough for me. I'll send you a message.

3. walkman archive

Thanks for the point but that's not the reason. I am automatically watching to any thread I reply in -and I guess everyone as I tried to set that option-, and I'm already watching this one. the reason seems more a problem of emails not sent or bounced.
    There are logged server problems but I cannot understand them nor figure out what to do. Although I'm and advanced user, I'm not a pro.

4. walkman archive

Can you explain them?

5. docs

docs Member

Hi Nick, I've already investigated this and the format is a basic HTML capture which would mean that admins would need to share out the work in re-importing the threads one by one. (option 4).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  6. docs

docs Member

The files are of course SQL files which is a form of database and could be just plain SQL, mySQL, Oracle etc. etc.
    To answer your question, yes and no, I work in IT so understand the concepts of how a database works and the differing formats.
    It is probably possible to view these to work it out, and based on what the new database format is, write a specific programme to merge one into the other.
    My guess is that this is the approach the professionals are quoting you for.
    Option 5 is to seek a programmer/developer (which my son is) to spend some time establishing whether this is possible. They would need the old files to begin this process, then they would need access to a copy the current database to test merging.
    There could be some SQL commands which will do some conversions but it needs further investigation and there could be some people in this community which know about databases who would be more than happy to oblige in beginning the investigation.

Failing that, we need better ideas for raising funds.

7. samovar

samovar Well-Known Member

I'd already asked two friends of mine who are programmers/developers and they predicted that the files in the DB, previously on Hoop.la, must perforce have been of the SQL/variant type -- possibly mySQL. This given the case, the merge with the new DB format is possible and not very complicated if one has the know-how & access to a copy of the old DB & the new. I back up docs' proposal, ie let's explore this avenue of opportunity, if deemed possible.

8. docs

docs Member

The word from my son is "I should be able to figure it out".

If I can be provided access to the old files so he can look into it, we shall see?

9. Nickfish

Nickfish Member

Well there we go. MOMENTUM please! Lets see if we can't get this moving.

Northerner, Radio Raheem and samovar like this.
  10. davebush

davebush Active Member

Dave...Hasnt Tre got a copy of the DB ??

If not Im sure someone else has....

Id be willing to chip in some cash to buy another hard drive

11. samovar

nope cause

12. docs

docs Member

Dave, just need for the files to be uploaded somewhere and a link pm'ing.
    We can then setup a trial on xenforo and try to figure out the new database format, reconfigure the old database to match and test importing. There may be more complications than that but that's it in a nutshell.

Walkman Archive, over to you.

davebush likes this.
  13. walkman archive

That sounds good.
    I cannot send you any file until september but in the meantime we can try to find more people that can help in these.

Regarding funds, I'd like you to be more specific about how much will it cost if your son does it. I don't like the idea of starting the work without funds.

A pro from Forumcube.com, which they have good knowledge and experience about Xenforo DB importing process told me it was unsure about the exact cost of the migration but it will be something between 2500 and 4000$. So I went for the worst case scenario.

14. walkman archive

No, he doesn't. He has something similar to what I downloaded from the old site by myself: a copy of the threads, one by one, without DB.
    Anyway, his copy could be better than mine as mine had some errors and many threads got downloaded without images.

The official DB, which is 13GB big is only in my desktop computer (and a backup in an external HDD).

15. docs

docs Member

If my boy can do it, the cost will be nothing.
    I'll await you letting me know.

deech, samovar, Ball000 and 1 other person like this.
  16. davebush

davebush Active Member

Hugo...Could be that Docs is your man.......Finally things may be getting somewhere....Lets hope

walkman archive likes this.
  17. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

I do have a copy of the old site in a browsable html format, it was acquired using a long running site scrape program, I am happy to provide everything I have to Docs to get this rolling and provide any additional help I can.

Boodokhan likes this.
  18. samovar

Wow guys, that's really exciting -- especially if we can do the conversion for free! docs, if your kid was bitten by the boombox bug, I promise I'll send one to him as a present from my collection (& one to you for the effort you're putting on the whole thing) :)

Brutus442 and bronco like this.
  19. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Would an old Enigma machine help the case?

20. davebush

davebush Active Member

HAHA...yeah it may