1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tandberg 3014, the norwegian 'Dragon killer'

Discussion in 'Cassette Decks' started by walkman archive, Aug 24, 2017.

1. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Tandberg 3014A deck 01.jpg

Some time ago I was offered one of this beast. A friend of mine, who has a wide collection of decks as well as an astounding music room (see it here) had this one and didn't want to keep it anymore. It was in perfect cosmetic condition but it required a though and deep work into it.

I took it to Sergi's lab (@Sergi )and he did an excellent work, as always. The mechanism was stuck, with some issues both mechanic and electronic, but Sergi could fix them all. It took more work than usual, and it also required the deck to turn back to the lab two times but in the end it worked fine. Now it's showing all of its pure power and stating that it was born to 'kill the Dragon' (in reference to the Nakamichi Dragon, the world's most acclaimed deck ever).

Tandberg 3014A deck 02.jpg

The design is a bit like a big tank. It remembers me something like a sturdy war bunker, with that thick metal front and those thin meter windows.

Although it looks a bit thick and somewhat not very advanced, it hides many advanced functions that are impossible to realize unless you read the manual. But the most eye-catching feature is shared with the Pioneer CT-F1250: the naked cassette.
    More photos in my blog, here.

Boodokhan and retro like this.
  2. Sergi

Sergi Member

Hi Hugo (@walkman archive), Thank you for your comments regarding my work. I'm glad to know that the cassette deck works properly.

kitchen10 and Boodokhan like this.
  3. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

Hugo, thats the best deck ever made! Enjoy.......

walkman archive likes this.
  4. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

A fabulous deck Hugo .

walkman archive likes this.
  5. walkman archive

The few tapes I recorded with it show a pretty remarcable flat freq. response, even BASF tapes too. The sound is bold, with more body than other decks but at the same time excellent resolution and overall impressive quality.

6. Elite-ist

Elite-ist Well-Known Member

Very nice deck, Hugo. Congratulations on adding another formidable home deck to the others you already have. Not many owners have the patience or a thick enough wallet to afford a Tandberg 3014.

Nando.

7. walkman archive

Thank you fellows!
    Yes, it's indeed a TOTL deck and one of the best ever. I still have to do more records with it as the meters are not very fast, and that's a problem when doing the best possible recording.
    It's curious that the 70/120us switch is in the back side of the deck :shock

8. 19lexicon78

19lexicon78 Active Member

there is one better than the 3014. you know which one.. i won't tell, still looking for this one for years. the problem with the internet, you wont find any exceptional pieces for cheap. too bad

9. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@19lexicon78 now you Must tell us more about The Best deck out there!!! Myguess it is not the Dragon... Is it Nak? Can it beat half-decent R2R?

10. 19lexicon78

19lexicon78 Active Member

@Jorge
    i give you another one, not the best but a bit better than the 3014. the 3004.

11. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@19lexicon78 Once you hunt down your Dream cassette deck, please post an update. I am more than happy with my LX-3, even sold LX-5 restored for me by Willy Hermann because it was an overkill for my needs. But I am curious! :)