1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telefunken HiFi Studio 1M

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by superlew, Jan 7, 2017.

1. superlew

superlew Member

Hi Guys,

I have a 'Funken 1M that I'm restoring, but I need a little help. With a snow storm coming, I'm stuck indoors so I'd like to make a little headway. Someone got into this unit some time back and it looks like it was either cannibalized for parts, or they blindly dug in, got overwhelmed, and called it quits. It's missing all its lights, except for the tuner dial (it looks like they used a rusty steak knife to remove them), so I'm planning on using either some amber or warm white LED's to replace them. I'm also missing the grounded shielding plate between the main board and tuner board. The plan is to make a new plate from aluminum, since I have tons of it at work and I'm not too bad at sheet metal fab, if I do say so myself. It's also missing the battery compartment door, which I also plan to make from sheet metal (preferably steel).

Here's where I need help:
    There are 4 wires that were cut loose from (I think) the power switch and were taped together and left to dangle inside the radio. I think they're part of the battery charging circuit. I'm looking for any clear photos of an intact power switch for reference.
    It's also missing the housing/reflector for the cassette VU's. Again, I'd like to fab one from aluminum, but any clear pics for reference would be much appreciated.
    Finally, I'm looking for any clear "guts" pics (front & back) to reference for wire routing, since they're all over the place from a hasty disassembly. I've seen some low-res pics from various Google Image searches that have helped, but any others would be extremely helpful.

Believe it or not, it is fully working and sounds fantastic (as it should), but I'm hell-bent on making getting it correct. Decent "guts" pics of the 1M seem to be hard to come by.

Thanks in advance for any pics and/or tips. :)

How I found the power switch. See those wires twisted together to the right of the switch?:
    20161203_114831.jpg

20161205_154058.jpg

Here's the area where I'm missing both the VU mount and grounded shielding plate.:
    20161205_154118.jpg

Again, thanks for any help on this one. The 'Funken 1M was on my short list for a few years and I want this one right.

2. mrp32Dave

mrp32Dave Well-Known Member

nickeccles likes this.
  3. superlew

superlew Member

Thanks, MRP3DAVE. I have actually saved a few pics from that link, which is how I found the missing shield and VU reflector. What I'd really like is a very clear pic of an unaltered power switch. I don't really need to see proper wire routing anymore. The routing became abundantly clear, thanks to the photos from the link above and tearing down the chassis. The tear-down's not that bad if the wiring is routed correctly, which mine was not. It will be when I'm wrapped up, which could be any time between tomorrow and some time in April (lol).

Here's the shield I whipped up at the kitchen table with some scrap aluminum from work. Not super-pretty, but fits perfectly.:
    SANY1115.JPG

4. superlew

superlew Member

Confirmed.
    This is absolutely not the correct power switch
    - not that I could salvage it anyway. I (and the previous owner) am lucky it never arced out or worse.
    If anyone's got a factory replacement, I'd certainly be interested. In the meantime, I'll try looking around for a suitable replacement. I won't be digging back into the 'Funken for at least a couple of weeks.

5. Deliverance

Deliverance Active Member

A quality box well worth saving ... Check German eBay I have seen M1 parts on a few occasions.

6. superlew

superlew Member

Turns out it's a SDU3P switch equivalent. They're no longer manufactured, but they're used in lots of different receivers. I'll be on the hunt for a suitable unit to cannibalize while I'm away in FL. If not, I'll grab one from the 'bay. Looks like they run about $25.00 USD.

7. MRm0bile

MRm0bile New Member

Hi all. I have one of these (1M) it's sounds AZING - radio works. I think the cassette head needs replacing. Any ideas where I can get one?

8. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I don't think superlew or Deliverance have been on here for a while but some say the 1M is the best sounding portable out there. There used to be some long threads on the best sounding boxes, pretty interesting reads in the forum reader.

Can you describe the issues your having and what you've tried to fix? Some members have little experience and some have a full bench of test equipment. I used to do tape head wear tests and it takes lot's of hours of use just to get to the point were you can see a sliver of wear. If there is some wear, as a last resort you may be able to "lap" the head, I posted the Nortronics Lapping Manual in this section a while back.

9. MRm0bile

MRm0bile New Member

Hi MrX , I've not had chance to have a close look and list / describe the issues, will do soon. Would love to get it going

10. MRm0bile

MRm0bile New Member

It's like the play button won't fully engage and it's a bit squidgy. The stop button falls down and has no resistance.

If I hold down play the tape runs but no sound ..

11. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

It looks like there's some metal bars that clip on the back of the piano keys, something might have broken or come apart, you'll probably need to take it apart to see the damage.

12. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

The Stop button never has any resistance on this model. Nor does the Pause key. It's a very crude tape deck, to be honest. No music search.
    I remember one guy saying the entire key assembly broke off and fell down inside.
    However yes it's the best-sounding 80s portable, IMO. But it's not really portable. It's too heavy, and you would probably only get 2x10 watts on batteries, not the 2x30 watts you get on AC.