1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The missing link

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by samovar, May 27, 2017.

1. samovar

samovar Well-Known Member

I haven't posted in a while so I may have lost my hand. Doubting that anybody is missing my old threads, I decided to post accordingly. Hence the topic, which I'll try to explain as follows.

In every collection there's always a missing unit; or a missing part of a unit. Or some missing data (the model number comes to mind).

What's your current missing link? I say "is" and not "are" as the point is to mention the big one. And I say "current" as I guess that important findings change our priorities from time to time.

For instance, for a long time my missing link was the one and only personal grail. Now that I have three specimens I'd say that my missing link is a few knobs of a box you don't see much around.

You want to know more about my grail and my current missing link? Write about yours and I promise that in due time I'll tell you. So, who's willing to play this game? :)

2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

In my collection of Discmans the most noticeable missing unit is d-555. Considering the prices, this gap will remain indefinitely ;-(

Brutus442 and nickeccles like this.
  3. Erniejade

Erniejade Member

I still have yet to get my hands on an M90 from JVC

Brutus442 likes this.
  4. Ball000

Ball000 Member

I'm definitely missing your old threads dear Samovar! ;-)
    About my other missing links, I think my personal grail is and will indefinitely be the National (Panasonic) RX-S40.

Brutus442 and samovar like this.
  5. Mystic Traveller

Mystic Traveller Well-Known Member

:nodding::wink:

Brutus442 and samovar like this.
  6. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

A brand new DD9 in the box

Brutus442 likes this.
  7. Helaba

Helaba Active Member

A Boodokhan ... And a rx-s41.....

Brutus442 likes this.
  8. samovar

Great feedback guys, thanks for sharing! :) Of course I wouldn't mind to get myself a Boodokhan, a DD9, a National RX-S40 and 41, or a Sony D-555 -- do they really go for big money today? A friend of mine used to have one, he may still have it stored somewhere. Surely he's willing to give it to me as a present? :D

This said, as a boombox guy I have other priorities. I'd very much like to read more from boombox nuts before disclosing what I am presently missing. Are there other elusive boomboxes around in addition to Erniejade's M90 ? ;)

Brutus442 likes this.
  9. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

regarding my missing link in boombox category i would love to find this beautiful box "Casio CK-200".

10. Machaneus

Machaneus Well-Known Member

I'm missing all your old threads Samovar and the most important reason is that always there is an inviting element so the reader at least think to participate so the community be what it has to be , to be active !
    Particularly this thread already shows what great taste s2g members have !
    To the point my personal grail lately is a black Sony wm-7 ,having several silver ones it seems I keep missing a nice black one.

deech, samovar and Ball000 like this.
  11. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@samovar Big money?... I must say No, not really. About the price of one power cord or interconnect in my home stereo. But I was thinking about the "collection", not something you listen to everyday, hence my attitude of going cheap.
    Re boomboxes: for years while listening to my little Toshiba RT-130 I wanted to get Sencor S-4800. Got one, it took me about a year to restore it to like-new condition. Once done, it was time to get a "real" collectible, so right now I am in the process of polishing The Elephant (Philips D8814). My next dream-bbox is JVC RC-550. Maybe not quite a dream, more like wishful thinking...

12. Transistorized

Transistorized Active Member

How's this for elusive? The Gold Conion C100F
    GC Outside.jpg

Brutus442 likes this.
  13. Ω SK-95

Ω SK-95 Active Member

Hey Sal, I know how you feel about "losing your hand" and posting here at s2g. I feel I've lost that "lovin' feeling" a bit myself.

Great posting you've got here! Alright my most elusive box is now clearly the M90, cheated from buying one for about $125us and it was a 10/10, to another one for roughly $250us also a 10/10, and this one just 5 minutes from my door!!!

Great stories on both! Unreal prices!! And two losses in a row for me on the M90. Not to mention that one member here recently bought one for $40 Canadian!! That's like $30us!!! If three people can be lucky enough to buy M90's for these prices within the last 12 months, then I will hold out and wait my turn to be lucky as well, otherwise, no M90 for me ever.
    My other holy grail is the Aiwa CS-880. This is one seems to be beyond elusive! They are so rarely on sale anywhere. When I get my hands on a CS-880 my collection is complete. Anything else I might end up buying will be to shake off some boredom. Actually come to think of it. I recently saw a Denon H-5 (3-piece) and it was stunning. I wouldn't mind seeing one up close.
    Cheers !!

Mystic Traveller and Brutus442 like this.
  14. samovar

Thanks for all the kind words I received from oldtimers and friends, I really appreciate them!

@Ball000 Don't lose hope to find your grail, patience is the key.

@sotza I concur, s2goers have excellent taste. Both the "missing" walkmans and the boomboxes mentioned so far are fantastic units. Some missing link can be modest though. You'll be surprised to find out which one is mine, when the time comes :)

@Boodokhan The Casio CK-200 is one of a kind. I have passed on a couple of them in the past and now I regret it.

@Jorge the JVC RC 550 is one of the most beautiful and iconic boxes around. Your dream may soon come true as it is not at all rare -- although not cheap.

@Transistorized The golden Conion is surely a difficult rabbit to catch. Almost as it is for me the Clairtone 7980. Not my grail, and admittely not at all an uncommon box. Yet one that keeps eluding me no matter what!

@Tony, you got me right from the start! Your story with the M90 resembles mine with the Clairtone. Go ahead, keep hunting, sooner or later you'll catch your M90. The Denon, btw, is a hell of a box. And definiteely a much rarer sight than the JVC flagship. Hope you'll find one too :)

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  15. deech

deech Well-Known Member

A missing link from me would be a Conion C-126 .
    I d say i have most Conions from that old brochure-catalogue that
    was uploaded a few years ago but this one escapes me .

samovar and Brutus442 like this.
  16. samovar

Neither the Aiwa CS 880 nor the Conion 126 are rare boxes at all. As a consequence, it may seem surprising that top-notch searchers like Ω SK-95 and deech have been so far unable to get their hands over them.

In fact, this is the whole point of the thread. The missing link (unit, part, detail... you name it) in our collection may be the redundant piece in our neighbor's. Not necessarily a chimaera-box in all books, but the Canterville ghost in our machine :)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Ω SK-95 and Cassette2go like this.
  17. Simon

Simon Active Member

My current missing links are the speaker brackets and handles for my beautiful Sony FH-909. Not necessary parts to enjoy the machine as I wouldn't really carry it around much but I would still like those bits.
    Aside from that I would like the same as many others, a DD9, D-Z555 and Khan all minty boxed :)

Brutus442 likes this.
  18. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

I've been away for too long. The "Honey-Do" list has expanded to the Mother In Law and my Mom now:crybye:crybye.

Samovar, your past posts are gold and are sorrily missed.

For me the missing grail would be the Sony CFS 99. I fell in love with it after seeing it here at S2Go. It's avant garde design really says something to me. The other "pure lust" item would be a minty Sony WM-10. It was the object of my desire when it first came out but then I discovered the WM-101's. Still the 10 left a scar in my audio heart!

19. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

You guys are setting up a stage for a new religion! @samovar and the olden S2G! I feel like being among the olden, now forgotten Gods!!!
    Good to be here, my ignorance/insignificance is duly noted!!

Have to go back to my eBay "watch list" to find Panasonic bbox which looks like something from Pink Floyd tour kit! Awesome!!! And Big!

Brutus442 and Ball000 like this.
  20. samovar

@Brutus442 Yo mate :) the CFS-99 is one of my dream boxes too -- although not my current missing link. Sometimes I think I should accept an invitation to Tokyo I got months ago. I'd dig a couple of those masterpiece of design and engineering: daring, elegant, and so incredibly modern. Guess who'd be the recipient of the redundant item... ;)

@Jorge A new religion? God forbid! (yes, I'm aware of the ironic twist in the statement) :D Especially because I am myself a newcomer to portable audio sites. The originators of stereo2go (Paul and his associates) started it all back in the days -- late 1990s/early 2000s. At least a decade earlier than my affiliation :)

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Ω SK-95, Brutus442 and Ball000 like this.