1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The MP3 is officially dead

Discussion in 'Music: Albums, cassettes, new releases...' started by walkman archive, May 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

I have just published it in my blog:

But now, 22 years later, the MP3 truly is dead, according to the people who invented it. The Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits, a division of the state-funded German research institution that bankrolled the MP3's development in the late '80s, recently announced that its "licensing program for certain MP3 related patents and software of Technicolor and Fraunhofer IIS has been terminated."

See the news here:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thereco...-is-officially-dead-according-to-its-creators

Pssst! Don't worry, your MP3 files are safe:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thereco...-a-frank-discussion-on-the-future-of-a-format

2. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

not a big loss to serious music-lovers...

Radio Raheem likes this.
  3. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Yup. But it gave us good moments years ago...

4. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

yes best news all week, now can someone remove every mp3 on the internet, along with the ipod:wink:

thid likes this.
  5. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

But its predecessor MP2 lives on in DAB Radio

Before anyone mentions DAB+ I don't think we have it in the UK.

6. autoreverser

i never liked mp3's - and even me as a convinced mac- user never ever liked ipods (because of their limited sound), itunes (because of it's - in my eyes - disgusting handling, wich became worst and worst with every upgrade) and any other mp3- player, besides handling of anonymous blooming files instead of physical media.

in the old days somebody gave yo a mix-tape, wich even if bad was something personal - with upcoming mp3's somebody just gave you a cd or usb- stick with millions of songs in different - so called - "genres" - you couldn't even listen to half of it. this lead music- industrie to produce all kind of crappy music on mp3 and flood the market / internet with this bullshit because it was cheap and easy to produce, and even if it sold badly it allways had a load of margin.

also fully digitalized music lead to music-analytic-programs, wich made it possible not to compose a song, but to just mix it somehow together from all those effects wich were sellable to the crowd, it lead to millions and millions of "superstar", "voice of whowantstoknow" and "makeyourselfetothebiggesta****ole"- contest, only made to rip of money out of your pockets.

i'm not saying old days analogue productions were all good, but due to the relative high cost (luckily) not everything was produced and released, but i am convinced, the amount of music-producer with an idealistic backround were much higher than those after the mp3 was launched, where music-productions became more and more a question of plain greed and profit - and the easy/cheap production of loads of crap -

- and because of the load of crap they threw over us, they created all those f***king genres and sub- genres, otherwise you wouldn't find 98% of all those mp3's ever back on your player or in your multi-media-file-system.

mp3 killed in a way many, many good artists - besides spoiling ears from thousands of majorly young people...

i'm not questioning what is better - analogue or digital (vinyl/cd), but i can surely tell you when i hear an mp3 and f.ex. i also hate a lot of "cheap" vinyl-productions, especially newer electronic stuff, where you can hear immediately the low rate compressed mp3- master.

to invent mp3 was a great idea, but a lot of crap for any serious music-lover - and it killed walkmen, mix-tapes and boomboxes like the european invaders killed the american rural citizens (indians) after invading america hundrets of years ago.

that's my point of view, i'm not crying a tear after mp3's. i'm having a nice little booze on it's dead right now :old:

mods: we need a nice "booze"- emoji !

Radio Raheem likes this.
  7. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Best post you have made since starting here Auto and i 100% agree with you, nice one lad:wink:

autoreverser likes this.
  8. autoreverser

thx matey