1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The story of my aquisition of the Siera TR-5842 (Aiwa CS-600 in disguise)

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by RevDoc, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

It is definitely worth checking the value of the fusible resistor. I have been fixing a Sony turntable that uses two fusible resistors in the arm motor drive circuit.
    One was completely open circuit while the other was twice the expected value of 68ohms. As I couldn't get the correct wattage
    I fitted higher wattage resistors in series with PolyFuses. These have the advantage that they will reset themselves if you let them
    completely cool down.

It is also worth checking that there is nothing sticking or fouling in your mechanism. Does it move freely by hand ?

Cassette2go likes this.
  2. RevDoc

RevDoc New Member

Well there's some initial resistance when the heads are raised as this is driven by the motor. But then when the tape is playing it's only the flywheel and the the takeup reel. And yes they run freely but the motor can't pull them to the correct speed.

Cassette2go likes this.
  3. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

Then the brush's in the motor are worn and cannot deliver enough current to the armature to rotate with enough strength, so you need a strong or newer motor.

Mister X likes this.
  4. Cassette2go

Cassette2go Well-Known Member

Mister X likes this.