1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Trying to repair a WM-D3 (TC-D3 in UK)

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by wm_dan, Sep 21, 2017.

1. davebush

davebush Active Member

excellent...i love these threads

2. wm_dan

wm_dan Member

With some time and a proper w+f tape, I set up the walkman properly today

The speed is perfect and the w+f is bang on factory figures.

Here are the results.

This is with new capstan ring from mihokm

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Pip

Pip Member

:thumbsup:Thank you.

4. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

excellent work. Thanks for sharing the pictures/ videos

5. Analogtape

Analogtape Member

Excellent work and pictures, thank you.

I got a WM-D3 as a Christmas gift (probably the best gift I ever got while many others would be happy when they get the latest model of a fruity smartphone…).
    The walkman has the known issues: Center gear and rewind gear. The door issue seems to be some kind of the opposite: The door stays close, but I need a worrying portion of force to open the door to remove the cassette.

With the help of your photos, the perfect guide from Marian and some experience gathered from two repaired WM-DD30, I finally managed it to disassemble the Walkman.

The Center gear issue has lost its scare since Marian has solved this problem for the WM-DD series.

The plastic ring for the rewind gear seems to become a bit tricky for me since I have unfortunately no turning machine to turn the ring by myself. But anyway, I have also to wait for the 2.05mm drill bit. Maybe I’ll find a solution in the meantime.

Hope to report soon, that another WM-DD3 is back to life again!

Boodokhan likes this.
  6. Analogtape

Analogtape Member

After a break of almost 5 months I finally assembled my WM-D3 today.

For disassembling 5 months ago, I just followed the steps according to the pictures of wm_dan at the beginning of this discussion without making any notes. Unfortunately, these pictures are no longer available..
    It was a bit tricky to find the correct reverse order for some parts because after 5 months it is sometimes hard to remember how disassembling was done.

The result is not very satisfying:
    The center gear works fine, but further adjustment is needed because FF and REW do not work properly.

The volume potentiometer caused a very scratchy sound on both channels on the phones connector. After cleaning with a special spray one channel sounds fine now but the other channel is missing on both, the headphones and the Line-out connectors.
    By increasing the volume to maximum, noise is becoming louder but the sound is still nearly inaudible.

Not sure if this is from the potentiometer or something else. Has anyone an idea? Thank you.

Regards

7. Command8

Command8 Active Member

If you used contact cleaner on the pots with no success eI'd say it's a capacitor. Which is weird since usually that doesnt really happen with sony gear, mostly aiwa.

8. Analogtape

Analogtape Member

Thank you for your advice.
    This walkman is really a challenge.
    Having a look at the plan and the list of electrical parts in the service manual it’s all Greek to me.
    Do you have an idea, where the relevant capacitor (maybe more than one) could be found?

9. bub

bub Active Member

Check the resistance of the vol pot, compare both channels. Check the head wires for continuity. They sometimes break.