1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UK Boombox Meet London 22nd July

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by T-ster, Jul 29, 2017.

1. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

So last weekend saw the UK boombox meet hosted by Hisrudeness is London.

This was a very special event and marked a lot of effort from all sides to make this memorable. Rudey kindly hosted at an awesome venue with plenty of space for boxes to be heard, touched and admired. There was even an in house Boombox surgery room courtesy of Docs and wife.

From the USA via Italy and finally the UK came Chris aka Lasonic TRC-920, then from far and wide in England came everyone else.
    20170722_171146_resized.jpg

The quality of boxes in attendance was unbelievable, from Doc's mint Toshiba S90 and JVC M90, to Stereomads C100 (everything he bought was mint) to Si's SuperJUmbo to Geoffs silver JVC RC-550, there was so much quality.
    20170722_104632_resized.jpg
    20170722_104638_resized.jpg
    20170722_104638_resized.jpg 20170722_104649_resized.jpg
    20170722_104704_resized.jpg
    20170722_105355_resized.jpg
    20170722_114204_resized_1.jpg
    20170722_120413_resized_1.jpg
    20170722_120438_resized_1.jpg
    20170722_124323_resized.jpg

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  2. T-ster

The morning started off with boxes being put through their paces on the table one by one with everyone picking ones they needed to hear, had never saw or had on their wishlist. The was a lot of fun and I got to hear a lot of boxes i had never heard before at full chat.

Also in attendance was a large red Bumpboxx courtesy of Robb. CEO of Bumpboxx who fed-ex'd it over for a giveaway! Yes thats right a giveaway... what other modern company gives two f's about its customers? Very impressive. Now the Bumpboxx is insane by the way, power to spare, very flexible on play medium (usb, memory card, bluetooth, line in) and very good sound. It was described as "a destroyer of worlds" and i have to concur.
    20170722_104655_resized.jpg
    So names were drawn, tears were shed and in the end Seb walked off with the prize:

He also then had to try to fit a Bumpboxx in its original box (see the pic of it next to the Aiwa 880 for reference on size) in a Porsche!! Its fair to say the Bumpboxx is freaking huge and the Porsche, well, it really is not....
    IMG_1957.JPG

3. T-ster

By lunchtime we were in full swing, I can't tell you how cool it was by this point, all the people i have been chatting to for years all gathered talking boxes, life, cars, everything. Deals were being made, boxes being tried, the ever charismatic Rudey was in full on host mode and food was being prepared...
    DSCN0820.jpg

This pic doesn't even tell he full story as more was added and there was so much that it easily fed all the people and we all went back around 6ish for seconds!!

I don't know if it has been said but big thanks to Rudeys Mamma for cooking up some amazing food and to the lady who prepared more on the day, it was some great food and there were so many appreciative mmm's!

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  4. T-ster

I finally scored a Sanyo MX-920 at the meet also, an exceedingly fair price from a great member, i owe you one Si. No sooner had i taken possession and Docs asked if i wanted him to take a "quick look" at the tape deck. Next thing i new came out this full on boombox toolkit with lamps, meters, a box of belts, sprays, and everything you could need and my patient was in for surgery. Now the 920 is not an easy box to work on, i have to admit i was pretty nervous. Docs, Charlotte and Geoff dived right in:
    DSCN0864.jpg

A couple of hours later and:
    20170723_192033_resized.jpg

A gorgeous fully working 920. Docs and Charlotte thank you so much, Geoff, you too bud. They were legendary.

It has to be said i always knew Docs was a genius but it seems Charlotte can hold her own to, she was in there up to her elbows rebelting this thing !! Docs you are a lucky man and i can see why you are smitten.

Look at her now shes a peach.

5. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Actually the second :)

It was great fun, Rory was a fantastic host who looked after us really well. Lots of nice boxes to play with and listen to, and a fair few deals too. It was a really enjoyable day :)

6. Northerner

And I was happy to give you a good deal on the 920...it's a great box but you definitely wanted it more than me :) Plus it meant I could pretend to myself I wasn't spending so much on the C100 lol

7. T-ster

So many more deals were done on the day, i was just a bit heady from grabbing my 920 at last. I actually took 4 boxes but came home with 8 plus about 15 more added to my wishlist! I snagged a Rising 2020 (which im in love with, thanks Rudey) and Panny, a Goldstarr parts box (work in prog).

8. Northerner

I left one behind by mistake lol...the nice upside down Tosh

9. Northerner

The 20/20 is a great box, one of my faves

10. T-ster

Yeah it's much appreciated Si, I don't see me ever parting with it. And as you say, it went towards a monster :D

Northerner likes this.
  11. T-ster

Damn thats a nice box to!!

12. Northerner

13. Northerner

It's ok. Rory is gonna post it to me :)

14. Northerner

And here's the C100 I brought home from the meet :) IMG_3943.JPG

15. docs

docs Member

Agree with everything above, great day, great folks and great host/food/venue etc. Was a genuine pleasure and I feel I've re-made some new friendships from old names from s2g and bbxery.
    Looking forward to the next meet.

16. Radio Raheem

Radio Raheem Well-Known Member

Seems like a great day was had by everyone. Wicked, Simon you look like a fat farker lol...I was bigger though...there is a sanyo 920 on ebay id love it (stereomads) but there just not worth £500 imho, it's truly a beautiful box though:wink2

17. Northerner

Lol thanks mate...I'm an old man now so what do you expect? :)

18. Radio Raheem

You're as old as you feel bro...with a new girlfriend and a new house I bet you feel 21 again lad, who wants washed up old hags anyway lol:wavey:

19. Northerner

I'm as old as I feel?....oh crap, I'm about 87 then :)

20. Radio Raheem