1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VICTOR JVC 3090EN needs your help!

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Risingsunproject, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Risingsunproject

Risingsunproject Active Member

Hi guys need some experts on this
    Unfortunately my latest acquisition of a ghettoblaster did not end that well.
    After receiving and tested the machine all worked fine but i returned home i tried to power on the machine and play radio but nothing happened.
    The thing is that the power button is turning red on but nothing happens
    When at the same time i press play on the cassette player the radio kicks in and the lights go on.....
    If i let the play button on the cassette player everything stops
    There is a sleep button so i am thinking something happened to that or else..
    Easy fix? Some direction would be nice even to inform my technician about particularities on this model.
    Very sad and hope for some crucial info but please note i am not a technician but interested to learn a thing or two.
    Thanks for any crucial comments on this one

Attached Files:

2. Risingsunproject

The only thing i can say since i only opened the machine...Dust rules and it could use a cleaning.

3. Risingsunproject

Please note this with the zombie radio kicking in from the play button on the cassette happens only when sleep button and power button are on and by pressing the play button extra hard if i release the play button radio stops and the only thing that is on is the small light on the power button

4. Risingsunproject

here are the two switches that may cause the conflict

Attached Files:

5. RevDoc

RevDoc New Member

have you applied contact cleaner to the switches ?

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Risingsunproject likes this.
  6. Risingsunproject

yep tried that now its on a long visit by my technician (and he is a slow turtle) thanks for the reply

7. Risingsunproject

Ok managed to fix the box.The killer?High voltage from our precious "State Electricity company" thanks for burning out a true jem of boomboxes.
    Still missing a cap for one antenna (hell i ll go make one) and a battery cover (helll i ll go make one too) Tape fixed All is good!
    Here are some pics enjoy!
    And who said analog is dead i even manage to get one channel! IMAG0533.jpg IMAG0531.jpg IMAG0537.jpg

Daniela, Radio Raheem and Brutus442 like this.
  8. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

I'm so glad you got your 3090 working again Risingsunproject. I read this thread a while ago but didn't chime in because I had no idea what was wrong with it. What component actually failed? Was there a voltage limiter or fuse that blew? I ask only so I can help myself if my 3090 suffers a similar fate.

I LOVE my 3090 and cannot get enough of it. I'm sure you've reconnected with the fun that this box can bring!

. The fact you receive an analogue broadcast is extraordinary! Lucky !!!

9. Risingsunproject

Well we have great fluctuation(variation if i am using the correct word) in Greece especially in the summer i already lost a couple of devices even a ups just to find out by my electrician that a fuse/cable in the central "clock" that is managed by the electric company was going bad(greenish cable burned out) that may have caused even worse problems to my flat.Together with other devices "went" also the JVC!I think my boombox technician told me that it had to do with the voltage limiter but i ll ask him again not to tell you "bullshit"Just give me couple days time i contact him to give you a more detailed answer.
    I really enjoy this box even on this near mint condition:The looks are stunning and sound better than i ever hoped and are very tough to find at least to me
    I probably saw your box first that made me wanting one so bad and sudenly a deal came up and a small miracle happened!
    And the name is Evri for short Brutus
    Stay tuned i managed to snatch some tv ghettoblaster combos some very rare if it all goes well i will be posting the details when they arrive!

Brutus442 likes this.
  10. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

I had the same feeling when I saw Radio Raheem's beautiful 3090EN twins. I had to have one!! Thankfully, our great member Samovar came to my rescue and hooked me up with one! I love this community!

It looks like we have something in common Evri, with our names. Unfortunately Brutus is my screen name, but my real name is Geoff.:wavey: and I'm a 3090 addict as well!:wink::wink:

Risingsunproject likes this.
  11. Robboape

Robboape New Member

do you received some additional infos? Same problem here in Italy, when i touched sleep button everything disappear, same as yours, tape run but no sound.

Somebody knows where can I catch the Instruction manual and diagrams?
    thanks to all.

photo before restoration

Attached Files:

12. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

13. Robboape

Robboape New Member

I saw your thread, you are a PRO!!!

For the service manual in PDF they ask 24USD...it seems expensive....I continue the search.

14. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I usually type in something like "JVC 3090en .pdf" and look through the images to find the front page of the manual. This one might be tough because it wasn't a big seller. Don't forget to get on yahoo.jp and do similar searches, the model over there is called the Victor M-8000.

15. Robboape

Robboape New Member

I bought the manual :-(

anyway...there must be something connected to the SLEEP button that's not making it work, only motor tape works.
    Before pressing the SLEEP button everything worked well.
    My feeling is that the problem is related to the power supply board.
    It's just a sensation. Can some god-blessed help me?

I attach some pics of the service manual, if need more please
    ask.

diagram power supply.jpg diagram power supply2.jpg Printed board for power supply.jpg

16. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

It is a bit difficult to tell what is going on without being able to see where the three connections to the "sleep" switch go. Do you have a test meter to start checking voltages ?

I think the operation in the sleep mode is as expected. The idea was that if you wanted to play the radio (or TV) for thirty minutes when you in bed ready to sleep you could select sleep, pop in a C60 and and press play. When the tape ran out the unit would turn off.

I have a Sony radio that has a clockwork timer for the same purpose.

The question is why the box doesn't operate normally when sleep isn't selected.

Silver965 likes this.
  17. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

Hello ... based on the first picture of the diagram It works like this ... Starting from the transformer (Green square) .. the voltage is rectified and filtered and reaches the external 12 volt socket .. go over the switch of the 12 volt socket and reaches the voltage regulation circuit (transistor 2SD727 + 2sc1213..Ec.) At the output of this stage (green arrow) there are about 13.4 Volts .. following the red circuit, on the Sleep switch you will have to have 13.4Volt. ..but also at the output of the Sleep switch you will need to have 13.4 Volts (Purple arrow)

Attached Files:

18. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Nice work on the annotated diagram. Mine isn't so neat. My question was what happens with the third connection yo the sleep switch and the connection next to it ?
    It would also be helpful to work out which position sleep is on the switch. Finally is sleep supposed to be independent of power or do they both need to be activated ? You might be able to find that in the service manual.

Attached Files:

Silver965 likes this.
  19. Silver965

Silver965 Well-Known Member

In the second image of the circuit it continues like this ... the 13.4 volt power supply (Red wire) reaches the cassette leaf switch ... then (green wire) it powers the motor and other parts ... but returns to the SLEEP switch .... therefore in the two positions the Sleep is powered ... in one position directly from the power supply and the other indirectly by the cassette leaf switch .... at the output it feeds the audio integrated ... So if not pass the voltage you will see the engine turn but you will have no audio

Attached Files:

20. Robboape

Robboape New Member

I followed your instruction checking the voltage and at last I found the problem.
    The SLEEP switch. A tiny black chips burned in the switch. I fixed all and seems that everything works well.
    Next week I'll receive the small 6v bulb and I'll reassembling all.
    I'll share some pics.
    Thanks to all. 20210416_213646.jpg 20210416_213638.jpg