1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walkman and Boombox Belts, Wheels and Rollers

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by Mister X, Nov 23, 2017.

1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I posted this company years ago, they have a ton of cool stuff, belts for audio equipment, idler wheels, pinch rollers, antennas, etc. They also rebuild rollers and wheels and can custom size belts and tires.

I haven't had a need to use them yet and the page was last modified in 2009. I did call the number today 11/23/17 and there is a current message for the company.

Hope this helps a few people!

Home page - http://russellind.com/

PBR Line - http://russellind.com/prbline/index.html

Jorge likes this.
  2. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@Mister X what did you say happened when you called this company?
    They have suspiciously "old-skool", industrial-looking page. No email, the only option is to leave a message. All I need is just one-two pinchrollers for Panasonic RQ-SX15. @mihokm emailed me back yesterday that RQ-S, and then RQ-SX pinchrollers are on his to-do list, so I will wait...

3. Mister X

I just called the contact number to see if they were still in business and there was a voice-mail answer and a "we are not in, regular hours are so and so....." They have a lot of drool worthy stuff and this site has been around for a long time, so I have to believe they are legitimate, I've Googled the address and it's a small building but it does look like somebody that would be doing this stuff. I'll try calling them again and see if they'll do a Q&A with me and post the results, they might like this place.

I've never made pinch rollers, I'll look into it, I have to believe a little lathe would be all you'd need. Did you try Terry's? This website recommends them as well.... http://usrecordingmedia.com/whcanigetred.html Again, I've never used any of these sites but I know they've been around for a long time.

4. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

Well, Walkmans for me are not in the same priority list as convincing Steve Huntley to do Great Northern Sound mod for my Wadia 781i, I fly the cheapskater's path here... Meaning another broken Walkman as an organ donor;)
    And @mihokm seems to have all the belts...

5. Mister X

No...not an organ donor...What belts are you looking for? I might go down in the stacks and find what you need from my personal stash, let me know the unit and I'll check, if you know the size that really helps.

I looked up Wadia and that thing is a beast! I don't own any high end hi-fi but I still love it. It reminds me of when I went on an estimate at a kind of run down home. The guy inside was super nice and I noticed his ultra-huge speaker wire, interconnects and line voltage conditioner. He had a modded CD player that he said was unreal. He played it for me and I can't remember the sound quality but he loved it. For me sound quality is very personal but getting closer to that goal of being in the room with the musicians is a great feat and, from experience, believe every little piece helps achieve that goal.

Jorge likes this.
  6. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

@Mister X you just nailed it! As I mentioned in my other post, it feels unreal to sit at LA Opera and bitch about the sound quality because their broken air-conditioner is louder than Placido Domingo in front of me! To that end, I never fall for the "audiophile" standards played endlessly at the shows. "Jazz At the Pawnshop"?.. I get more excited clanking my glass against a bottle of beer while listening to Brian Eno's "Music for Airports"! If you do not care about the tune, SQ is totally irrelevant, and I did try to listen to Lady Gaga and Norah Jones at hi-rez thinking that maybe I miss something... Nope, I would rather listen to a shitty recording of Brahms under Mravinsky with Richter torturing the piano than "Hell Freezes Over" as JVC-XRCD.

Ball000 likes this.
  7. Mister X

I'll stick with John Carpenter....

DSCN1998SM.jpg