1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walkman maintenance - Intermediary to Advanced level

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by ebuy05, Oct 16, 2017.

1. ebuy05

ebuy05 Member

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for some info or tutorial on the maintenance required to keep walkmans running smooth for years to come (in particular my WM-701C). I've done some "basic" level maintenance such as: belt replacement, contacts cleaning, lubrication of the motor and pinch roller shafts and general cleaning. My "next level" maintenance questions are:

1) Does anyone have a tutorial on how to lubricate the capstans bearings? I have appropriate watch oil and small syringes.

2) How do you replace the pinch rollers? Do you need to lubricate their tiny plastic shafts as well?

3) Any other maintenance tips I've missed?

Do you need to completely disassemble the unit to do any of the tasks above?

Thank you,
    Ed.

Here is a shot of my WM-701C capstans and pinch-rollers:

2. Boodokhan

Boodokhan Well-Known Member

There was an excellent topic by Docp in old forum about walkman maintenance
    I will try to find it and post it here

3. ebuy05

ebuy05 Member

Thank you, Boodokhan. That is much appreciated :)

4. wm_dan

wm_dan Member

1) you apply a tiny drop of oil to the capstan bearings, with No tape in run the machine both ways for a few mins to let the oil work in. Clean up any excess oil

2) Use rubber roller restorer to clean your pinch rollers, if they still remain shiny/polished after, they need to be replaced. They also need to be replaced if they have gone hard, or cracked

3) you do not need to lubricate the pinch roller shafts, just make sure the rollers spin easy and freely.

4) also clean the capstans with IPA on cotton buds/ear buds

besides taking the thing apart there is not much else you can do.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2017
    Smurfer and ebuy05 like this.
  5. 16s

16s Member

@wm_dan how do you apply the rubber roller restorer? I have a spray can of it. Should I spray some on a cotton bud/q tip and then apply to the roller?

Thanks

6. wm_dan

wm_dan Member

Yes thats right but with RRR it doesn't try like IPA so you have to clean up after you. Personally I prefer using it to IPA on pinch rollers, but others just prefer IPA as easier and less mess

7. 16s

16s Member

@wm_dan Thanks, do you mean apply it, leave it on the pinch roller for an amount of time a then wipe it off??
    ( i dont want to use IPA because i know it hardens the rubber ultimately increasing W&F)

8. wm_dan

wm_dan Member

You work it in with the ear bud nice and firmly you will see the ear bud go dirty
    Don't stop cleaning until the ear bud remains white
    Then you need to dry up the left behind residue

16s likes this.
  9. 16s

16s Member

Thanks! :thumbsup: