1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walkman WM 100 series wow & flutter

Discussion in 'Tech talk' started by buzbox, Jun 11, 2017.

1. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Hey all. Just need some advice on possible adjustments or repair. I have two WM F101's and the sound quality is excellent but there is wow and flutter only on the "forward" direction. When I press the auto reverse button the sound on the reverse side is perfect. Would this be a pinch roller issue? Azimuth adjustments are all ok also. Seems like most of the WM 100 series I've been getting have this issue. Any tips would be appreciated.

Regards,
    buzbox

2. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

I have the same issue on a few of the 100, 101, 103 and 202's.

New belts always help, but I also factored in that one pinch roller was probably used more than the other. I reasoned that the A side would have seen more wear, and would harden or glaze quicker. That explained why the B side always played better.

So now I always give a very light sanding to both rollers on any new units I receive followed by a good clean with AF Platenclene (Print Roller Cleaner and restorer). I then allow them to dry and repeat once more.

This really helps alleviate the issue.

HOWEVER... if your 101 was stored for any period of time with the play mech engaged and the Pinch rolled compressed against the capstan, no amount of cleaning will help as your roller will have been deformed.

But thats an easy fix for someone well versed in roller removal, with new rollers from Marian etc

3. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

Thanks. Will give your suggestions a go. On a side note I believe you bought some WM 103's from me a while back. Silver and black. You were here in Queensland working on a Marvel movie?

4. doublecee

doublecee Active Member

That is indeed correct! And they were great and still are. I was very far from home and needed a fix and you most certainly delivered!!!!

Now you got me missing QLD!!!!

5. buzbox

buzbox Active Member

6. falsefruit

falsefruit New Member

I've been having a similar issue and stumbled across this thread. I picked up a WM-F100ii a few months ago and gradually replaced the belt and both pinch rollers. However, the enhanced w&f in the forward direction still persists - there is no issue in reverse. Is there anything else that should be examined here? Notably, the motor seems to stall a little bit when playing in the fwd direction, w.r.t. the reverse direction. I'm unsure if this is due to design. I did swap out the entire pinch roller ass'y + head block, but the stalling motor problem persists. Might this suggest that something within the transport is acting up?

I was wondering how to oil the capstan bearings on this model, but this looks very difficult to do. How do folks approach this on these models? Thanks for reading.