1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What analog music are you listening now? (only photos, no Youtube)

Discussion in 'Music: Albums, cassettes, new releases...' started by walkman archive, Jan 24, 2017.

Tags:
  1. HiFi22stealth

HiFi22stealth New Member

I'm back!

A while ago, listening to my copy of Silverimage - Troubled Hearts... With the participation of Anders Enger Jensen (who also collaborates on YouTube videos by Techmoan and others). I guess that although it's obviously digitally mastered it still counts as "analog music" since I'm listening to it off a cassette!

Using my Pioneer CT-W505R, which, despite being a dual-well, sounds pretty good as far as I can hear! I wouldn't say it's a bad deck at all (in fact, these late dual-well Pioneers, and at least as far as I've learnt, seem to be particularly good)... Although, as of now, something better is on my way... and I guess I'll be liking that one quite a lot too!:bigthumbsup:

Side B - Track 6: "The Sunspire":

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Yes, I know... The dust!:thumbdown:)

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
    Ken80s and Longman like this.
  2. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Going off topic, I bought the download and Anders supplies it as a Wav file.
    That is currently occupying half the storage on one of my Sony NWZ Walkmans.

3. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

no pic yet - i'm listening to an absolute astonishing recording (vinyl, 1961) from great label ARHOOLIE: uncensored folkmusic from austria

a plain WOW

4. Command8

Command8 Active Member

Hey man, I also use a pioneer double deck a CT-S99WR and they aren't as bad as JVC at least. Also possibly better recordings on them then on a Sony d6c.
    1513844600463.gif
    Listening at the moment in the airport lounge the noisiest mixtape I ever recorded. Used a d6c and the source is vinyls from my best friend, drinking beer + making a mixtape together = surviving our winter exams.

he sadly uses a crosley cruiser. Got him a keenwood kd-291r for Christmas, need to buy a needle or cartridge for it, and I know nothing about vinyl...:swoon2
    IMG_20171221_091705.jpg
    The original version of lay lady lay by Bob Dylan makes up for all the surface noise though.:smileycool:

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    Ken80s likes this.
  5. HiFi22stealth

HiFi22stealth New Member

Hmm... I guess that doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing? (since in digital, bigger size=better sound)

My D6C seems to really like the tapes I've recorded on the CT-W505R! The AUTO BLE on the Pio really helps in making very good sounding recordings on Type I cassettes... I like to use TDK AR which to my ears sounds great!:thumbup:

Merry Christmas!!!

6. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

L1130132sm.jpg
    Playing "Fields of the Nephilim" on my "Elephant", while consuming "Irish Milk"/aka Guinness with a splash of Brandy...

If anyone knows of a better fix, hit me!!!:drinks :)

ciclosysombras and nickeccles like this.
  7. Michelle Knight

Michelle Knight Active Member

Listening to this....

20171222_192201.jpg

Played on this...

20171222_193506.jpg

Through this... (Mullard valves from the 60's)

20171222_192133.jpg

On these...

20171222_192256.jpg

...and yes, that's a glass of red wine in the third picture :)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2017
    Ken80s, Command8 and Jorge like this.
  8. Jorge

Jorge Well-Known Member

NOS 6922 Mullard tubes into HD600 was my favorite combination! Good choice :applause
    Good to know that it is not Dragon's blood in the glass...:shock

Michelle Knight likes this.
  9. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

deep-house x-mas: MINILOGUE - let life dance through you remixes - drop your mask of selfeprotection

IMG_3857.JPG

Ken80s likes this.
  10. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

En Vogue - Funky Divas

Analogue.jpg

11. Longman

Sorting out some of my Mothers old tapes and wondered what this was.

IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0005.JPG

A 1986 tape pretending to be a radio program from 1966

It is actually on Youtube if anyone is curious and gets a five star review on Amazon (along with complaints that the CD version isn't as good).

In 2037 will you be able to get an MP6 file of a (fictional) Radio Program or Spotify stream from 2017 ?
    Will anyone even know what their parents were listening to in 2007 ?

12. HiFi22stealth

HiFi22stealth New Member

I'm listening to a local FM (thus, analog!) radio station here in my area of Barcelona: 94.45MHz "24h Non-Stop"

This station is a jewel! Seems pretty amateurish (no ads and no DJs either, just an ID jingle now and then and the songs mixing continuously one with the other, so it seems to be pretty clearly machine-run). They use some compression but it seems to be pretty relaxed... All in all, it sounds pretty nice! Plus I love the music selection! And although the source of the audio is obviously digital (otherwise the songs could not be automatically mixed by a computer, which I guess is what's being used) in some tracks I can hear clicks, which means they were ripped from a record at some point...:thumbup:

Current song: Crockett's Theme (I guess it's not necessary to name the artist!) :thumbup:

[​IMG]

13. HiFi22stealth

HiFi22stealth New Member

Listening to Chinese pop music on shortwave... CRI (China Radio International) in Spanish on 9590KHz, out of their transmitter site in Western China (Kashi/Kashgar/Xinjiang) and targeted/beamed at South America... Transmitted RF power is probably 500kW, which is usual for them in this transmitter site.

Using my Icom IC-R8500 communications receiver, and feeding the audio into the HiFi system!

CRI's sound has always been pretty good (for a shortwave signal!), as they usually crank up the bandwidth of some of their AM signals wider than most other shortwave broadcasters... Often causing co-channel interference problems to other stations in adjacent frequencies, which is a tradeoff to that increased audio quality... In this frequency and time they transmit with 15KHz of RF bandwidth, which is 7.5KHz of (mono, as usual on shortwave) audio... Not much, but like I said, quite good for a SW station!
    On other frequencies, such as 7210KHz they even use a wider bandwidth, usually 20 to 25KHz... Which sounds great!

The antenna used is my homemade outdoors long wire... 12.6m long with a 9:1 unun (unbalanced-to-unbalanced RF impedance matching transformer) at the feedpoint... Using Aircell 5 50ohm coax cable to the receiver.

Song played at the time of taking the pictures: Jealousy - Bibi Zhou

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  14. Elite-ist

Elite-ist Well-Known Member

I listened to this one on Christmas Day, just before dinner. It's a tape recorded by Miles from the Netherlands and it's Steve Rothery's "The Ghosts Of Pripyat."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nando.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2017
  15. Longman

Here is a new variation on Analogue. Listening to and watching Cathy Dennis on HiFi VHS using my JVC HR-S7860 SVHS VCR.

IMG_2494.JPG
    I was rather miffed that there wasn't a proper copy of this on Youtube due to copyright problems so when I saw a tape from Amazon marketplace I bought it.
    Today I actually have time to watch it. I had forgotten how good HiFi VHS can sound.
    Also I just got to the end of the tape and there is a nice Biography of Cathy there.
    Something else you miss out on with Youtube. A tape is more like an album in that you listen and watch all the way through.

I was really into Music video tapes in the 80s and 90s so this was a pleasant nostalgia trip for me.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    Ken80s likes this.
  16. LeafxD

LeafxD New Member

i listen to pink floyd on vinyl and also i have michael jackson thriller on a chrome tape with dolby (its a c-tape) and i have a brand new 94’ pink floyd dark side of the moon on tape from france but thats what i listen to and dire straits on vinyl of course cant forget that but i have no pictures i am about 3k miles from home!

17. kent

kent Active Member

18. TooCooL4

TooCooL4 Well-Known Member

Nice you have the original Sennheiser Orpheus, cool:thumbsup:. You should post your system here.

19. ciclosysombras

ciclosysombras Member

Yeah! My favourite albums are Dawnrazor, The Nephilim and Elizium. Dark greetings!!

20. walkman archive

walkman archive Administrator Staff Member

Wow, that's a music room!
    Tandberg 3014, ZX-9, B-215, ZXL1000 gold... Holy god, man, that's heaven!
    And am I seeing the orpheus amplifier?