1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What cars do you guys drive ?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by autoreverser, Mar 17, 2017.

1. funkitall

funkitall Active Member

Elite, the Buicks look stunning!!!!! Very jealous

A few years ago you couldn`t give these cars away but now they are going for a bomb!!

Northerner....like your style...
    Me, I drive a (no sniggering) a 2000 Ford KA 1.3litre in Mint metallic green......
    and also a 1998 Suzuki Bandit 1200cc bike vroom vroom

Brutus442 likes this.
  2. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Ha ha not sure there's much style involved lol...tho by the time I've finished the van conversion (soon!) it'll definitely be fun :)

Years ago my sister had a purple metallic Ka with purple leather interior :)

Brutus442 likes this.
  3. funkitall

funkitall Active Member

Crap...I forgot to add alloy wheels and black leather interior with a dash of rust here there ansd everywhere....

Purple in and out....sweet

Brutus442 likes this.
  4. Transistorized

Transistorized Active Member

What a great showing of rides. I LOVE that Grand National. What a car. They always said you could have any color you wanted....as long as it was BLACK...haha
    For what it's worth I'll post up a few of my rides but they are more modern than the classics we've seen mostly on this post.

First my Turbo Focus ST. FFRP Tuned. My little pocket rocket
    Focus_ST.jpg
    And just like any sporty car...you just have to know if it'll do what's on the speedometer
    speedo.jpg
    My HS car. 1996 Ford Probe. People either Loved or Hated them. My first reliable ride now with 315,000 miles and still looks new. Busted my knuckles many days in the garage throughout the years but it'll be getting antique tags soon
    Probe SE.jpg
    Not sure if 2 wheel transportation counts here but I'll throw that in. The rest of my rides are just dull and boring....who wants to see those anyway :read
    My Suzuki RF600R.
    20160414_185924.jpg
    Ah what the heck. Even though it's a beater I'm going to throw in my 93 Ford Probe GT. With 325,000 miles she deserves some credit. Love these cars.
    Probe_GT.jpg
    As you can see the Pontiac (background...wifes car) and just for tooling around and a reliable ride...a boring 2013 Toyota Corolla. My plans are to get a 4x4 truck eventually.

Brutus442 likes this.
  5. Longman

Longman Well-Known Member S2G Supporter

Those Ford Probes are doing well.

According to this site

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?utf8=✓&q=ford+probe&commit=Search

there are only 563 left registered in the UK compared with 14800 back in 2001.

It is an interesting site. Just 36 of the Nissan Sunny Coupe like the one I bought in 1991.

I remember seeing the Probe III concept car at an Engineering lecture Ford put on.

http://oldconceptcars.com/1930-2004/ford-probe-iii-concept-1981/

This is what they thought the car of the future would look like in 1981.
    It is actually quite close to the Sierra which was a big seller in the mid 1980s despite Hyundai
    putting out an advert making fun of the "Jelly Mould" styling. One of the managers at work had an XR4i which I always admired.

More impressive than the car was the background lighting which comprised of Metropolis style
    Jacobs Ladder Lightning Machines.

Transistorized and Brutus442 like this.
  6. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

Great collection Transistorized!

7. Atomtan

Atomtan New Member

Should bring a smile to any older UK folks on here. This is my summer daily driver (it looks better in the photos than it is). It hits the road again from next Tuesday, MOT tester depending. I got it in 1989 as my rebellion against the rise of FWD hot hatches here. They were so unpopular then, but now, like Radio Cassettes they seem to fallen into folk law. Makes me realise how old I am when I think its been with me for 28 years......

Attached Files:

Longman, autoreverser and Brutus442 like this.
  8. Brutus442

Brutus442 Well-Known Member

^^Classic beauty!^^^

9. T-ster

T-ster Moderator Staff Member S2G Supporter

Ugh a Capri 2.8i just bloody gorgeous

10. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

Atomtan, this Capri is a killer, allways liked'em, congrats !

11. Longman

:worship::nodding::worship::nodding::worship::nodding::worship: "The Car You Always Promised Yourself" according to Ford.

This is the one I was driving from 1984 to 1991 when it started to suffer from all the usual problems like rusty suspension mounts

Capri_s.jpg

Only a 1.6L in "Tuscan Beige" but I think that was the great thing about the Capri, there was one for most budgets.

I completely disagree with that. Thinking back to the late 1980s
    • My best friend had a 3.0S (which is where the alloy wheels on mine came from as he fitted 2.8i Pepperpots to his)
    • Another friend had a 1.6 Laser which he bought new as his first car
    • Our section leader demonstrated his earning power by having a 2.8i which he was extremely proud of
    • A younger colleague had a very tidy MK1 Capri
    • Two of my neighbours had Capris
    Admittedly two other colleagues did let the side down by buying XR2is while one of the senior managers had a white XR4i which I always admired.

One superb memory of Capri ownership was a girl I was trying to chat up saying to her friend "AND he's got a Capri" as if it really impressed her.
    I was impressed when a year later J. Geils band style she was on Page 3 of the Sun.

I can't think of any modern "affordable" cars that would have the same effect these days.
    There again a 2.8i was about 1/3rd of the price I paid for a new two bed house in 1986

A final addition which I had to add. Just like the cars and boomboxes they don't make adverts like this these days. Enjoy.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2017
    Brutus442 likes this.
  12. Erniejade

Erniejade Member

[​IMG]

The spring / summer car Daily driver Honda Fit is in the background.

13. Elite-ist

Elite-ist Well-Known Member

1976 Buick Regal Sport Coupe

I bought this car the day before Father's Day in June of this year. Both the wife and I went down to demo the car a week prior to the big purchase. I have been happily using the Buick Regal throughout this summer, which has been an exceptional one, indeed. It only has 35 K original miles on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nando.

14. Longman

I love the wheels and tyres. Back when I was at school and reading "Speed and Power" magazine back in the 1970s all the hot cars had tyres like that making them look like dragsters.

I can't understand the thinking behind todays ultra low profile tyres which ruin the ride and can suffer damage just from driving over a man-hole cover.

15. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

Wow lovely Buick.

I do have a hankering after a classic american car...I keep looking at what's available but they're so frickin big I can see me having problems on rural uk roads lol

16. Longman

The one time we hired a car in the USA it was a Kia that looked very similar to a Mazda 626.
    In places like the hotel car park it looked tiny compared to the American designed saloon cars there

I suppose it all depends on the type of car. I have seen quite a few of the new Mustangs and they look to be a sensible size and are available in Right Hand Drive.

17. Elite-ist

Elite-ist Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. The previous owner takes all the credit for getting the '76 Regal Sport Coupe looking and performing as it does. The guy, I bought it from, purchased the Regal in an estate sale, when the first owner, unfortunately, passed away and the family resorted to selling the assets. The fellow who had passed away was handicapped and used hand controls for both the brake and accelerator pedals. The controls came with the car, along with assorted Buick literature, factory service manual, and brochures. There were a number of consecutive years of car show dash plaques in the glove compartment. I feel like contacting any remaining family to let them know I will take good care of it, because it's quite obvious, he loved his Buick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nando.