1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the difference between all the AIWA Compo Boxes?

Discussion in 'Chat Area' started by Mister X, Jan 25, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Mister X

Mister X Moderator Staff Member

I love the AIWA Compo's and am curious if anyone knows what the numbers mean. The CB-20 unit carries the "22" Series Components as shown by this on on Ebay at $650.00 USD. I think one of the missing compartments is for a battery pack? This model also has the horizontal speakers.

ic.jpg

This unit is listed as a CS-5, it has maybe the "10" series components, I can't tell but the speakers are definitely upside down. The bottom plate is for the optional battery compartment

ai2.jpg

I found some interesting options on a Japanese Blog including the smaller case, the TV antenna, and the upgraded speakers, that I have to believe are ultra-rare outside of japan, the RB-10 Battery Pack seems to be somewhat available. (I use $50.00 USD = 5,000 yen)

ic4.jpg

And the optional turntable, a lot of guys have no interest in the "accessories" I try to grab the little stuff when I see it since having a full system is really cool although the main complaint is that some of this equipment is not as high quality as the TOTL stuff.

ic5.jpg

And then our member Reli has it listed on his awesome website as the M-101 (or CB-20), I think this might be wrong and referencing the first system pictured and not the CB-5.
    http://www.wikiboombox.com/tiki-index.php?page=Aiwa+Carry-Compo
    (let me know if it's copyrighted, I'll remove the photos)

tiki-download_file1.jpg

tiki-download_file.jpg

Anyway I don't have one in my hands...yet....but just wondering if some of the members can chime in. I know at least two of these changed hands over the last couple years on the board and I think HI-FI Tom used to have one. I'm just curious if it's just these two or are there more Compo Systems with the flight boxes. I love AIWA and am slowly putting together my "mini-systems" It's been a labor of love for the past few years.

2. lupogtiboy

lupogtiboy Well-Known Member

Holy crap! That's one of the coolest things I've ever seen! I have a 22 in my haul and a 30 I think. I know they did a lot of optional stuff that's near impossible to find, there's some good stuff about them on

http://www.thevintageknob.org/aiwa-Aiwa_22.html

This shows a stack of what was available for the 22, I have the normal amp, tape deck (needs belts changing of course!), radio and I think a spare tape deck. Its buried away in storage at the moment, when I can get to it, I'll post a pic up of what I have.

I love stuff like this, its when they actually cared about what they were making, how it looked and what the user wanted, not just made on the cheap and mass produced.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    nickeccles likes this.
  3. Mister X

I found an AIWA R22 Tuner years ago at a local thrift, I was really happy but always wondered what happened to the rest of the system. That followed with an AIWA C80 Preamp. I've been slowly buying the other units but hope to have the smaller compo in my hands in the next few weeks.

The Japanese Catalogs always have a lot of rack options, space is at a premium there so they made just about any configuration possible. I've been tossing around building my own when I get some free time.

nickeccles likes this.
  4. Mister X

5. Mister X

From one of my "Another Japanese Website" thread, I guess they call the whole unit a CS-9 and the case is is CB-20. Look at the price for just the box, about $280.00 USD in 1979!
    http://www.video-koubou-topaz.jp/AIWA-1.html

[​IMG]
    CS-9 Carry Compono CS-9
    (1979)
    Stereo · Integrated Amplifier AA - 16X (Price at the time 17,800 yen)
    Cassette deck AD-L22 (regular price 17,800 yen at that time)
    FM / AM tuner S - R22 (price at the time 36,800 yen)
    Speaker SC-E20 (regular price 6,150 yen × 2)
    Carry Box CB-20 (price at that time 28,000 yen)
    Total output 26 W, AC / DC 2 power supply, Dolby built-in cassette deck,
    Digital display type tuner

6. Mister X

Found some members photos posted back in the last decade on the old site.

3130irl.jpg
    ic1fnq.jpg

DutchNick, nickeccles, CDV and 4 others like this.
  7. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

The speakers in the first pic are horizontal only because they've been rotated horizontally. But when taken apart they are meant to be stood vertically.

8. Mister X

Reli, do you know what the size/weight differences of the two are? And is that unit above the CP-1?

9. Mister X

Here's some blurry photos of a CP-1 that was for sale in South America, it looks like the box has a handle.

images.jpg
    images2.jpg

David Waterman likes this.
  10. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

These are the most valuable, because each component has classic side handles. They are called "Series 22" and many people collect them and use them for home/office use. The compo in black leather at the top of your thread uses these components, but they lack the side handles, plus they combined the amp and pre-amp into one component, which some people feel is not as desirable as having separate amp and pre-amp.

The next most popular among collectors would be these AKA's of the Series 22. I believe there were others too.
    http://www.wikiboombox.com/tiki-index.php?page=Wega+Minimodul+Series
    http://www.wikiboombox.com/tiki-index.php?page=Uher+Paco+Designeranlage

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
  11. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Edited above

12. Mister X

These are on the bay right now, I have to believe they were sold as an option and not sold attached to the units. If I had the R22 Full Series I'd probably jump on these, they add a high coolness factor but I don't think they do much for resale. I wonder how hard it would be to reproduce these, I've been know to hang out on the foundry sites and checking out how they make things.
    $110.00 USD with shipping https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aiwa-22-ra...582340?hash=item4b34df1504:g:d~0AAOSw7rdaX8-r

ah.jpg

13. Reli

Reli Well-Known Member

Interesting, but those look painted. I thought the originals were just bare aluminum?

14. Mister X

They look aluminum to me, I can see the mold lines on the inside of the handles with a little oxidation...

15. Mister X

nickeccles likes this.
  16. Mister X

I'm in heaven, this little Coo-Coo box would look great with my little system

aiwa22.jpg

17. Risingsunproject

Risingsunproject Active Member

18. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

same unit(s) were labeled with "UHER" as they needed quality-gear after stopping their own production. those units all hed orange frontblades / fascias

19. Risingsunproject

Risingsunproject Active Member

Like to possibilities Lower right corner please!

-1.jpeg

20. autoreverser

autoreverser Well-Known Member

...i think you can easily convert one of those chromed toilet-roll-holders :bigthumbsup:

Risingsunproject likes this.